Ok...so I think I killed my laptop last night

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: Ok...so I think I killed my laptop last night

Post by gnat » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:50 am

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:43 am Not sure it's practical/useful, even if it works...
Is anything practical with the Apple Pencil? I replaced my iPad Mini with a Pro specifically capable of using the v2 pencil. It was kinda neat for a bit, but now it just hangs out stuck to the side of a lamp (yay magnets!).

Using them as a Wacom proxy sounds cool (and I didn't realize was an option), but I expect the "that's cool!" will wear off pretty quickly for my needs.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:53 am

So far, the New Hotness factor isn't super high. The lack of a thunderbolt port leaves me with a heap of useless dongles (fucking Apple) again, which was a given but still pisses me off.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:55 am

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:53 am The lack of a thunderbolt port leaves me with a heap of useless dongles (fucking Apple) again,

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:04 am

I still have a pile of USB-C dongles I bought for the Failed Microsoft Surface Pro Experiment of 2018 (tm) - but you effing know they won't work with a Mac.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:13 am

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:04 am I still have a pile of USB-C dongles I bought for the Failed Microsoft Surface Pro Experiment of 2018 (tm) - but you effing know they won't work with a Mac.
I bought a USB-C "docking station" (it's just a puck with HDMI, VGA (seriously??), GigE, and USB ports). I figured "what the hell" and plugged it up to the iPad. I didn't expect much, but it did recognize being plugged into a network and it let me mirror to an HDMI screen. I didn't know what to plugin via USB to test that and who da fuck has VGA screens these days???

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:23 am

The speakers in this thing are decent - 76.7db at one foot from the keyboard for the end of the Top Gear intro (S1E1 as played by the Motortrend Channel app)...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:02 pm

So I randomly checked the refurbs and now they have a ton of 16" refurbs in stock. Canceled my order and for $38 more dollars I'm getting the 2.4ghz instead of 2.3, 64GB rather than 32, and I'll have it Friday.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:54 am

So tell me more about refurbs. Are they reliable? What is the meaning of refurb? Does it mean a cleaning a check and a new battery or is there more? Or just tell me to go myself. GOD I'm getting lazy.
gnat wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:02 pm So I randomly checked the refurbs and now they have a ton of 16" refurbs in stock. Canceled my order and for $38 more dollars I'm getting the 2.4ghz instead of 2.3, 64GB rather than 32, and I'll have it Friday.
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:27 am

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:54 am So tell me more about refurbs. Are they reliable? What is the meaning of refurb? Does it mean a cleaning a check and a new battery or is there more? Or just tell me to go myself. GOD I'm getting lazy.
gnat wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:02 pm So I randomly checked the refurbs and now they have a ton of 16" refurbs in stock. Canceled my order and for $38 more dollars I'm getting the 2.4ghz instead of 2.3, 64GB rather than 32, and I'll have it Friday.
If you go to the web store and scroll all the way to the bottom there is a tiny link in the list of site nav links for the refurb store.

Refurbs are a combination of returned hardware due to either replacement under warranty and trade ins. This will actually be my first refurb so my opinion is TBD, but they are supposed to clean it, test it, and then replace any parts that have cosmetic issues or aren't functioning. They even give you all new packaging and cables. It is supposed to be indistinguishable from new. Like a new machine it comes with a full 1yr warranty and you can purchase the same AppleCare plan too.

In this case I'm getting a roughly $4k build for a bit over $3200.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:35 am

Does it include all the dongles that you need... :roll:
gnat wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:27 am
32wildbilly wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:54 am So tell me more about refurbs. Are they reliable? What is the meaning of refurb? Does it mean a cleaning a check and a new battery or is there more? Or just tell me to go myself. GOD I'm getting lazy.
If you go to the web store and scroll all the way to the bottom there is a tiny link in the list of site nav links for the refurb store.

Refurbs are a combination of returned hardware due to either replacement under warranty and trade ins. This will actually be my first refurb so my opinion is TBD, but they are supposed to clean it, test it, and then replace any parts that have cosmetic issues or aren't functioning. They even give you all new packaging and cables. It is supposed to be indistinguishable from new. Like a new machine it comes with a full 1yr warranty and you can purchase the same AppleCare plan too.

In this case I'm getting a roughly $4k build for a bit over $3200.
Never gonna make you cry...