Low cost tire review

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Re: Low cost tire review

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:57 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:42 am I put Kumho's on mine last winter, and like you said, I don't drive aggressive enough for any difference between Pilot Sports and these to make itself known. I might go expensive next time just to see, but the last thing I think about on this car is the tires.
So my cheap Kumho's only lasted three years, 15K miles or so. I feel like its too soon for me to be looking at tires again, but these are definitely shot. I'm thinking of going with PS2s this time to see if I can get some more life out of them, but am open to suggestions.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

02TX996Cab
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 02TX996Cab » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:19 pm

IHMO if you got 15K out of the rears you did well. My 996 C2 cab, even with an alignment targeted towards tire longevity (e.g. the least amount of negative camber within Porsche specs), gets maybe 12K out of the rears and that was with either Hankooks or Bridgestone S-04s, neither of which are made any more in the sizes the car requires. I can get 2x or even 3x that out of the fronts. The car gets driven "spiritedly" on the road when appropriate for conditions, but isn't tracked.

Of course YMMV...literally.

If you were happy with the Kumhos I can't see the extra cost for PS2s (probably double that of the Kumhos) paying out in terms of significant tire life. If you were suffering with the Kumhos and not enjoying the car with them, then by all means look at the Michelin PS4s's -- they're excellent.
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:46 pm

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:57 am I'm thinking of going with PS2s this time to see if I can get some more life out of them
All we've ever used is PS2s and we are happy with them, but by year 3 the rubber is hardening up pretty good. So even if they aren't ready by wear, they are are starting to age out by then.

It's gradual and I had no idea until we had left a set on for 6 years. When we finally put new tires on it, I was shocked at how much more grip it had and that I hadn't noticed before the change. Now I keep a better eye on how it's handling and right around the 3 year mark seems be the magic number. It really sucks when it's only seen 5-10k in that time and the tires look new :x

OceanBlue2000

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:31 pm

02TX996Cab wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:19 pm IHMO if you got 15K out of the rears you did well. My 996 C2 cab, even with an alignment targeted towards tire longevity (e.g. the least amount of negative camber within Porsche specs), gets maybe 12K out of the rears and that was with either Hankooks or Bridgestone S-04s, neither of which are made any more in the sizes the car requires. I can get 2x or even 3x that out of the fronts. The car gets driven "spiritedly" on the road when appropriate for conditions, but isn't tracked.

Of course YMMV...literally.

If you were happy with the Kumhos I can't see the extra cost for PS2s (probably double that of the Kumhos) paying out in terms of significant tire life. If you were suffering with the Kumhos and not enjoying the car with them, then by all means look at the Michelin PS4s's -- they're excellent.
Thanks! That helps! Maybe I'll go with the Kumho's again.
Mike
1982 928 (sold)

OceanBlue2000

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:33 pm

gnat wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:46 pm
OceanBlue2000 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:57 am I'm thinking of going with PS2s this time to see if I can get some more life out of them
All we've ever used is PS2s and we are happy with them, but by year 3 the rubber is hardening up pretty good. So even if they aren't ready by wear, they are are starting to age out by then.

It's gradual and I had no idea until we had left a set on for 6 years. When we finally put new tires on it, I was shocked at how much more grip it had and that I hadn't noticed before the change. Now I keep a better eye on how it's handling and right around the 3 year mark seems be the magic number. It really sucks when it's only seen 5-10k in that time and the tires look new :x
This isn't the rubber getting old, the tread is gone. They look like slicks, such that I will not drive them in rain (not that I take Daddy's baby out in the rain if I can help it). After three years, having tread left would be a vast improvement.
Mike
1982 928 (sold)

JayG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

UPDATE Low cost tire review

Post by JayG » Fri May 19, 2023 12:48 pm

Well my rear tires were just about corded, so I figured it was time for some new shoes
The Nankang NS-2' are no longer available and I liked the tire, bummer, so looked at another cheap tire.

We get a fair bit of rain here in Austin and it does get cold, so I wanted an all season tire
After a lot of searching and reading reviews, I chose Cosmo MuchoMacho tires. Yes, that is actually the name LOL
They ended up around $175 each mounted and balanced in 275/30-19

I still have the Nankang Ns-25's on the front as they have lots of tread left and wanted to see how the MuchoMacho performed before investing big bucks in the front tires LOL

So far I like the grip and performance. The only problem is the front of the cars feels very light now. I wonder if it's due to different tires front and back
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY (sold)
2004 996 Targa Tip
2020 BMW X3 Xdrive, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Kalashnikov » Fri May 19, 2023 11:16 pm

I had NS2s on my E55, were a good tire. I had four sets of sumitomo tires now on all my acuras, and really liking them. Sumitomo ice edge for mdx for snow up north, sumitomo HTR Enhance LX2 on MDX for summer, and sumitomo HTR A/S P03 on TLS. I had the P03s on CLS and loved them, on TLS they rock.