Wayne997.2

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by Wayne997.2 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:54 pm

Wait ... fisting can lead to footing?

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:08 am

I'm not sure. I believe poor footing can lead to accidental fisting, though.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:36 am

Yesterday was Career Day at Big Bear Middle School...and some moron thought it would be a good idea to have me speak.

Good news! In 6 hours with hordes of stinky tweens, I did not drop the f-bomb even once.

Kids are just as weird now as they were when I was in middle school, it turns out.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:23 am

Man my wife has a lot of friends in education and I stupidly said I would attend a career fair to represent "The Arts" because "they have a ton of kids interested in "art and design" and "I would be a great mentor."

I set up my booth with all of my samples and a laptop with some videos playing and the first girl walks up to me and says "How do I become a singer?"

:lol: shit, I dunno kid let me hear you sing.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:25 am

Many of the kids were distraught to learn that programming requires both math and language talents.

Then one kid asked a question about declarative vs. imperative programming, and if he hadn’t been 11, I woulda hired his ass. This kid was wearing TWO backpacks - one up front and one in back - yet none of his classmates were bright enough to understand they’d be working for him someday.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:54 am

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:25 am Many of the kids were distraught to learn that programming requires both math and language talents.
The fuck it does. Well known by reading my posts over the years, my language talents are kinda meh. I just go for getting my point across.

Lesser known is that I am a high school dropout on the back of being shit at math. Algebra specifically is fucking Greek to me (and yes I fully appreciate how I can be a pretty decent programmer with almost 30 years in the books and still not be able to solve a*b=5 or some shit).

I did do some community college classes where I took 2 programming related classes. One on pseudocoding (which I have never in my life used) and the other was a C class that I failed after I told the instructor off because he rejected my answer because I didn't solve the problem in the exact manner he wanted (not only did the code work, it took less lines and was more elegant than his solution). I think went on to get Netware certified (that came in handy... :roll: ) and Flat, Horizontal, and Overhead stick welding certifications (also useless, but it was fun).

My only other programming class was a Cocoa/Objective-C course I got AOL to pay for while I was knee deep writing a frontend for the Mac Mini I had installed in my Escape. As I recall I didn't end up learning anything useful there, though I did teach them that they didn't understand what "unlimited sweet tea" really meant and that I was deadly serious when I told them 4 pitchers was not going to be enough for the morning... :twisted: Nothing like good Georgia sweet tea, so I drink it like a fish when I can.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:20 pm

"I have no language talent - but I'm one of the most verbose bastards on the Interwebs."

-Gnat

gnat wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:54 am The fuck it does.

If you can't express/articulate/transcode what you're imagining using a language - whether it's English, C++, or whatever, you can't be a developer.

Also...Netware? HAHAHAHAHAHA *gasp* HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:21 pm

The kids wanted to know what kind of education/training you need. I told 'em that one of my two best developers has a Ph.D. in math from MIT...and the other one is a high-school dropout. My other fav developer is a lady who cursed so much during her interview that nobody was willing to consider hiring her. I overruled everyone else and hired her anyway…who gives a shit if she has no social grace? She was smarter than anyone else in the room that day, DEFINITELY including me, and can program in any language we’ve needed to deal with. I guess that makes her a profane polyglot.

I also told them I wished I'd given more of a shit about geometry in high school - it would have come in handy when we had to code a scroll bar in a language that didn't have pre-cooked GUI elements.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:15 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:25 am Many of the kids were distraught to learn that programming requires both math and language talents.

Most of the art kids are distraught to learn that selling art involves communication and interpersonal skills as well.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:46 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:20 pm "I have no language talent - but I'm one of the most verbose bastards on the Interwebs."

-Gnat
I use verbosity to cover up my lack of social skills. If I bore them to death the usually don't notice that I loathe them.
If you can't express/articulate/transcode what you're imagining using a language - whether it's English, C++, or whatever, you can't be a developer.
Fair enough. I am much more linguistically capable with computers.
Also...Netware? HAHAHAHAHAHA *gasp* HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Heh. To be fair, token rings were still the shit back then!