Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

DTMiller
"Special"

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by DTMiller » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:08 am

Taycan Turbo(?!?!) S
2002 Guards Red Targa, Fister exhaust, H&R Sport Springs, semisolid motor mounts
1997 MX-5 track car
Friday at the Track, Chin Trackdays, SCCA WDCR Novice Classroom Instructor, SCDA, Audi Club Potomac, TrackDaze HPDE Instructor
June 16, 2017 Funland GoKart Champion (6:13 p.m. main event)
Willing to risk life for track time

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:14 am

DTMiller wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:08 am Taycan Turbo(?!?!) S
Holy Shit. 0-100kph in 2.8s??? They can call it whatever they want :o

Still not buying an EV though.

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:42 am

DTMiller wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:08 am Taycan Turbo(?!?!) S
I saw this on Jalopnik when this was announced. They are calling it a Turbo despite the lack of, you know, actual turbos. "Turbo" in Porsche parlance now means "the faster one." I'd think this is out of character for those disciplined Germans, but what do I know.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Kalashnikov » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:08 am

Saw the Tycan pricing today... Hmm.

Out of all consumer goods, cars is the only product that stubbornly defied the pricing trend. Computers, TVs, appliances, consumer goods have all gotten cheaper as they got more powerful and more advanced. Bare bones $100 laptop is far more powerful then the top of the line $2,500+ PC from 30 years ago, yet priced laughably cheap.

If cars followed the trend in electronics, we should be able to buy a 911/m5/amg cars today at fractions of what their progenitors cost. Yet, no cigar.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:54 am

What can't be helping: all of the mandated/homologated stuff (driver aids, data recorders, lane departure/brake assist radars), plus all of the technology used in lieu of hardware (active brake differential / ABS instead of a locker/limited-slip diff), plus all of the infotainment B.S.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:57 am

Kalashnikov wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:08 am Saw the Tycan pricing today... Hmm.

Out of all consumer goods, cars is the only product that stubbornly defied the pricing trend. Computers, TVs, appliances, consumer goods have all gotten cheaper as they got more powerful and more advanced. Bare bones $100 laptop is far more powerful then the top of the line $2,500+ PC from 30 years ago, yet priced laughably cheap.

If cars followed the trend in electronics, we should be able to buy a 911/m5/amg cars today at fractions of what their progenitors cost. Yet, no cigar.
Bunch of greedy bastards.

There is some justification for it to cover the process of getting through various regulations and certifications, as well as R&D costs. Also consider that computers are made mostly of commodity parts with few custom parts. They also need to operate in a far more hospitable environment than a car needs to.

If you look at specialized computers (e.g. capable of operating in extreme temps, in the presence of flammable fluids and fumes, etc..) you'll find they are much more expensive than the average home computer.

Additionally, if you want a cutting edge computer with all the latest bells and whistles, that will run you far more than a no name laptop that is made up of 4+ year old tech.

All that said, I don't see how you can really justify $2500 for a single head light housing (without any of the electronic bits). It's just molded plastic. While I grant you that it's not just your every day plastic so that it is more impact resistant, it is still rather cheap to produce.

Given that it is so difficult to get a viable mass produced car company up and running (just look at all the issues Tesla has had with their supply and assembly lines not to mention the red tape they fought through in the beginning) I'm not sure how we force them to bring prices down to something more reasonable.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:07 am

Considering the Model S is $100,000 and no two are built with the same amount of fasteners - $150k for a base Taycan Tuh-bow is a steal because it'll actually feel like a premium product. Let's all hope it has a "blow up" problem and maybe I'll own one in 2036 :lol:
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:26 am

Heh - your comment about Tesla fasteners perfectly explains my reluctance to own a Tesla. I walked around a newer S recently...I swear I'm not one of those micrometer-toting people who will tsk-tsk when there's a millimeter difference, but I am curious what new unit of measure was invented to calculate and record their assembly tolerances.

I think I'd enjoy having a beer with Musk, just to hear the stream of consciousness...but I'ma hold off a bit longer buying one of his cars.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:32 pm

When I heard they were rush-producing the Model 3 in parking lot tents in order to meet the goal of 5,000 units per week; that was my immediate thought: "I've seen the cars they take their time on - I can't imagine what these 3's are going to look like..."
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:07 pm

...and there's always that chance that your recently purchased Tesla will go all torch boy on your ass!
Never gonna make you cry...