Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:19 pm

02TX996Cab wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:05 pm
32wildbilly wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:03 pm Please explain to my wife about running with traffic on an interstate. Speed limits in NE is 75 on the interstates. If I go 75 she pitches a bitch because she is honestly nerve wracked. She asks me to run 70 mph which I do. I'm just glad she doesn't have a rear view mirror. If she thinks she's nervous at 75 she would flip the F out if she saw what went on behind us while doing 70!!
The explanation is pretty simple -- accidents are much more likely to happen when drivers have to DO something -- speed up/merge, slow down/exit, change lanes, and so forth. Those driving maneuvers are minimized if one "goes with the flow", for both you and those encountering you.

If that doesn't convince her, or if she's simply uncomfortable with speed in general, consider a) staying off the interstates, b) having her wear a VR headset playing a calming pastoral scene or c) tranquilizers (for her, not you).
I've tried the logical explaining approach to no avail. Yes she is speed adverse. She won't even ride in either of the toy cars. She claims I drive them like race cars...I don't.

I really like the tranquilizer idea... a lot! For her___yeah only for her___yeah that's the ticket...
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:54 pm

I have the opposite problem with Mrs. S. I had to set a speed warning in her Grand Cherokee at 90MPH so she doesn't blow up her Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. They're rated for 106, but when we're driving through the high desert at 110 degrees with ground temps of 150+, I REALLY don't want to lose a tread.

You know how much noise an offroad tire makes at 90-95MPH?

This is the same Mrs. S. who really disliked the Corvette...until she drove it up to Big Bear. When she dropped the hammer in the passing lane doing 75MPH at about 7,000 feet elevation... and it downshifted and chirped the tires... she saw the light.

I have not shown her the ASR (traction control) button in the 'Vette.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:37 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:54 pm I have the opposite problem with Mrs. S. I had to set a speed warning in her Grand Cherokee at 90MPH so she doesn't blow up her Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. They're rated for 106, but when we're driving through the high desert at 110 degrees with ground temps of 150+, I REALLY don't want to lose a tread.

You know how much noise an offroad tire makes at 90-95MPH?

This is the same Mrs. S. who really disliked the Corvette...until she drove it up to Big Bear. When she dropped the hammer in the passing lane doing 75MPH at about 7,000 feet elevation... and it downshifted and chirped the tires... she saw the light.

I have not shown her the ASR (traction control) button in the 'Vette.
You are a lucky person!

Although do you have to wear ear plugs in the Jeep at 90 mph?

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:54 pm

Nah, at this point I'm so deaf from playing shitty clubs in the 90's that I can't hear much anyway.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:47 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:54 pm Nah, at this point I'm so deaf from playing shitty clubs in the 90's that I can't hear much anyway.
I feel your pain. I blame my hearing loss on nitro RC cars, racing karts, racing sprint cars and, of course, being on the running boards of 16 cylinder 3,800 hp diesel locomotives at full throttle on load test. Long before hearing protection requirements.

Of course too many loud rock and roll concerts back in the late 60's and 70's didn't help either!

The only time I tapped out from noise was the time I went out for hot laps in the sprinter without my ear plugs by mistake. First shot down the straight my eyes were bouncing around like dice on a craps table. I stuck my hand up, pulled out of the driving line and went directly back to the pits.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:44 am

My hearing has sucked since the 90’s, but…I’m an idiot and forgot to charge my active noise reduction headset before I fired a REALLY spicy load from my 50-cal black-powder muzzle-loader a few years ago. Pretty much the coup de grace for the right ear for anything above 1,000 Hz.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:52 am

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:44 am My hearing has sucked since the 90’s, but…I’m an idiot and forgot to charge my active noise reduction headset before I fired a REALLY spicy load from my 50-cal black-powder muzzle-loader a few years ago. Pretty much the coup de grace for the right ear for anything above 1,000 Hz.
5chn3ll: "What is that ringing. Answer your phone"

Ms. S.: "What ringing...?"

5chn3ll: "Oh...nevermind."

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:16 am

Heh. The ringing is awful, but you learn to tune it out. Most of the time.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:07 am

Sins of the past...

JayG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by JayG » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:29 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:47 pm
5chn3ll wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:54 pm Nah, at this point I'm so deaf from playing shitty clubs in the 90's that I can't hear much anyway.
I feel your pain. I blame my hearing loss on nitro RC cars, racing karts, racing sprint cars and, of course, being on the running boards of 16 cylinder 3,800 hp diesel locomotives at full throttle on load test. Long before hearing protection requirements.

Of course too many loud rock and roll concerts back in the late 60's and 70's didn't help either!

The only time I tapped out from noise was the time I went out for hot laps in the sprinter without my ear plugs by mistake. First shot down the straight my eyes were bouncing around like dice on a craps table. I stuck my hand up, pulled out of the driving line and went directly back to the pits.
I got hearing aids years ago.
My loss is due to 15 years of touring with rock and roll bands in the 70's and 80's. I'm pretty sure it was initially caused by Andy Gibb shows. 15,000 14 year old girls scream really fucking loud. We measure 143 db at one point. You know its bad when the FOH engineer is wearing hearing protection ear muffs while mixing the show
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY (sold)
2004 996 Targa Tip
2020 BMW X3 Xdrive, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"