Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed May 18, 2022 4:07 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:21 pm The load balancer / app delivery controller has ALWAYS been the thing our devs (and dev management) point to when they don't understand why shit doesn't work. For more than a decade, I've been hearing "my code looks fine...it must be the load balancer" as an explanation for why code written by people who don't understand application delivery doesn't work.

Today, a senior dev tried to (semi-jokingly) throw me under the bus because his requests to a QA front-end instance for a half-baked new feature returned an SSL error. My business partner, whose hackish cookie-based (gag) feature was based on this flawed code, called me out during the standup.

Nope. Not today.

The front ends don't run SSL, you toolsheds - that's what the load balancer cluster w/ SSL offloading does. You're sending HTTPS requests to a machine that doesn't SSL. Did you try adding a hosts entry / using the correct IP so your requests get serviced by the virtualized LAN IP on the app delivery controller (which handles SSL acceleration and load balancing across the entire server pool) instead of a specific HTTP-only host?

No. No you didn't. Because you don't know how shit works.

I don't mind being called an idiot by smart people, but when lesser idiots call me out, I bristle.

On the plus side, it's been YEARS since I threatened to throw my business partner through a plate-glass window. I think I'm mellowing.

Also, this is representative info for why I have never applied for a concealed carry permit. People like me should not be packing heat.
I think you spoke very specifically and eloquently. I appreciate that. There are way too many people who never learned to shout BULLSHIT! when it is thrown on the table. They would much rather say Fantastic! and let someone else fix the mess.

Job well done.
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed May 18, 2022 4:46 pm

Heh. Been working for myself too long to take shit off anyone. Makes me unemployable, though.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed May 18, 2022 5:45 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:21 pm I don't mind being called an idiot by smart people, but when lesser idiots call me out, I bristle.

And the truly intelligent people rarely call other people out for their idiocy, anyhow. It's usually the idiots trying to make a lot of stink about how smart they are.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu May 19, 2022 7:39 am

5chn3ll wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:46 pm Heh. Been working for myself too long to take shit off anyone. Makes me unemployable, though.
I think I am evidence to the contrary and you know from private conversations that I'm pulling in slightly more than minimum wage. Every year my company makes us build these elaborate performance plans for the year about how we are going to make the company better (as if a peon in a 60k employee company can really make much of a difference). After the mess of the last year (which you are also aware of), this is the entirety of my "plan" for the year:
Title: Do Work

Description:
Every year we make elaborate plans and within months there is always a change of direction at one or more higher levels that invalidates the plan.

So this year I am simply acknowledging that the entirety of my plan for the year is perform my tasked work as need to betterment of my team, cloud, and the company as a whole.

Measurement:
Remain Employed
I submitted it a month ago now and so far I'm still being successful at my measurement and no one has said boo.

And to the good Dr's point, yeah I rarely directly call out the idiocy of others, but I pave such a fine road with solid guardrails that the point can not be missed :lol:

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu May 19, 2022 8:06 am

gnat wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:39 am I think I am evidence to the contrary and you know from private conversations that I'm pulling in slightly more than minimum wage. Every year my company makes us build these elaborate performance plans for the year about how we are going to make the company better (as if a peon in a 60k employee company can really make much of a difference). After the mess of the last year (which you are also aware of), this is the entirety of my "plan" for the year:
Title: Do Work

Description:
Every year we make elaborate plans and within months there is always a change of direction at one or more higher levels that invalidates the plan.

So this year I am simply acknowledging that the entirety of my plan for the year is perform my tasked work as need to betterment of my team, cloud, and the company as a whole.

Measurement:
Remain Employed
I submitted it a month ago now and so far I'm still being successful at my measurement and no one has said boo.

And to the good Dr's point, yeah I rarely directly call out the idiocy of others, but I pave such a fine road with solid guardrails that the point can not be missed :lol:
I LOVE your Goal setting statement! However I guarantee there is some know nothing HR person who is shatting their drawers about any upcoming performance evaluation meetings with you.

That is so much fun. I wished I could have done that when I was gainfully employed.
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu May 19, 2022 8:34 am

32wildbilly wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:06 am
gnat wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:39 am I think I am evidence to the contrary and you know from private conversations that I'm pulling in slightly more than minimum wage. Every year my company makes us build these elaborate performance plans for the year about how we are going to make the company better (as if a peon in a 60k employee company can really make much of a difference). After the mess of the last year (which you are also aware of), this is the entirety of my "plan" for the year:

I LOVE your Goal setting statement! However I guarantee there is some know nothing HR person who is shatting their drawers about any upcoming performance evaluation meetings with you.

That is so much fun. I wished I could have done that when I was gainfully employed.
Nah the only time HR is meeting with an employee here is when you're getting fired (or you are going to them for something). Management handles all the other stuff and my manager knows better than to have such meetings with me.

In my 28 years of working so far, what I've learned is that you get a lot of leeway for being an asshole if you actually get shit done.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu May 19, 2022 10:46 am

There are only 14 of us in my company - and my Operations Manager / HR Manager is also my wife.

So I probably like HR more than most folks.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu May 19, 2022 11:14 am

It is eerie how many corners of the internet Gnat and I both frequent.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu May 19, 2022 11:30 am

It's well known that I'm just your sock puppet, so it stands to reason...

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu May 19, 2022 2:44 pm

If I was going to cook up a doppelgänger, I'd make sure he had a 996 with nicer paint...