Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue May 17, 2022 5:08 pm

Not a mega-huge fan of the pineapple in al pastor (no voy a mentirar - no me gusta la piña*) - but one of my favorite taquerias alternates between adobada and al pastor on a schedule that nobody except the two crazy Mexican ladies who run the joint understand - so I have adapted.

*No Google Translate here...puedo hablar, putitos!

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed May 18, 2022 9:36 am

I think maybe it's getting close to time for a career change for me...I just told my business partner during the dev standup "It's not my fault you don't understand how shit works."

It's entirely possible I was giving him the double-bird at the same time.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed May 18, 2022 11:06 am

5chn3ll wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:08 pm Not a mega-huge fan of the pineapple in al pastor (no voy a mentirar - no me gusta la piña*) - but one of my favorite taquerias alternates between adobada and al pastor on a schedule that nobody except the two crazy Mexican ladies who run the joint understand - so I have adapted.

*No Google Translate here...puedo hablar, putitos!

Oh man you absolutely lost me. I almost wrote "if you're chef's special boy (big tipper) you get some of the grilled pineapple sliced off the top."

You can even taste it off the meat from the dripping? You must really really not like pineapple. I eat the mfers whole and raw I can't get enough.

5chn3ll wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:36 am I think maybe it's getting close to time for a career change for me...I just told my business partner during the dev standup "It's not my fault you don't understand how shit works."

LMFAO are you otherwise friends?
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed May 18, 2022 11:46 am

TIL I'm happy I'm not chef's special boy. Heh.
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:06 amOh man you absolutely lost me. I almost wrote "if you're chef's special boy (big tipper) you get some of the grilled pineapple sliced off the top."
Yeah, we've been doing this crap together for 22+ years. But he's definitely a butthole with a CEO ego who needs to be called out from time to time... :D
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:06 amLMFAO are you otherwise friends?

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed May 18, 2022 12:02 pm

Gotcha. I was figuring that's either brotherly love or the end of a long hard road :lol:

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Wed May 18, 2022 1:44 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:06 am Oh man you absolutely lost me. I almost wrote "if you're chef's special boy (big tipper) you get some of the grilled pineapple sliced off the top."

You can even taste it off the meat from the dripping? You must really really not like pineapple. I eat the mfers whole and raw I can't get enough.

Right there with you on the pineapple. I prefer to cut up a fresh one, but I'll eat it directly from the can. Love the pineapple fried rice at the local Thai joints. Love the pineapple in drinks. Love the roasted pineapple. Big fan of Hawaiian pizza. It's almost like bacon in that adding it to anything makes that thing just better.

SLICE-AND-SERVE-7-GIF.gif
SLICE-AND-SERVE-7-GIF.gif (1.36 MiB) Viewed 289 times

OBTW, Doc, what the f**k is going on in Vegas the week of June 26th? I was going to book a Sunday through Wednesday getaway trip with the wife, and the hotel rooms are ridiculous. For Mandalay Bay, it's like $700 per night for a standard room, then goes back down to about $100 a night a couple of days later.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed May 18, 2022 2:18 pm

FRUNKenstein wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:44 pm OBTW, Doc, what the f**k is going on in Vegas the week of June 26th? I was going to book a Sunday through Wednesday getaway trip with the wife, and the hotel rooms are ridiculous. For Mandalay Bay, it's like $700 per night for a standard room, then goes back down to about $100 a night a couple of days later.

I'm not sure what is going on that week. I can't seem to find anything huge that I recognize. There's a USA Girl's Volleyball championship and the International Cosmetics Conference.

I can tell you that normally in the summer we are running big ad campaigns and flash sales to fill what we call the "need dates" - dates with low occupancy pre-booked. This spring we had a big meeting where they let us know we don't have any need dates this summer so we can focus on other areas. Very, very rare to be 100% pre-booked by business for the Jun-Aug months. We have 7200 rooms between our 3 towers.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed May 18, 2022 2:20 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:36 am I think maybe it's getting close to time for a career change for me...I just told my business partner during the dev standup "It's not my fault you don't understand how shit works."

Sometimes you just have to say it straight and clear. Sounds like you did so.

The double-bird was a nice touch BTW.
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed May 18, 2022 3:21 pm

The load balancer / app delivery controller has ALWAYS been the thing our devs (and dev management) point to when they don't understand why shit doesn't work. For more than a decade, I've been hearing "my code looks fine...it must be the load balancer" as an explanation for why code written by people who don't understand application delivery doesn't work.

Today, a senior dev tried to (semi-jokingly) throw me under the bus because his requests to a QA front-end instance for a half-baked new feature returned an SSL error. My business partner, whose hackish cookie-based (gag) feature was based on this flawed code, called me out during the standup.

Nope. Not today.

The front ends don't run SSL, you toolsheds - that's what the load balancer cluster w/ SSL offloading does. You're sending HTTPS requests to a machine that doesn't SSL. Did you try adding a hosts entry / using the correct IP so your requests get serviced by the virtualized LAN IP on the app delivery controller (which handles SSL acceleration and load balancing across the entire server pool) instead of a specific HTTP-only host?

No. No you didn't. Because you don't know how shit works.

I don't mind being called an idiot by smart people, but when lesser idiots call me out, I bristle.

On the plus side, it's been YEARS since I threatened to throw my business partner through a plate-glass window. I think I'm mellowing.

Also, this is representative info for why I have never applied for a concealed carry permit. People like me should not be packing heat.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed May 18, 2022 3:34 pm

Maybe people are just desperate to go out, lose money, get drunk, and have their wallets stolen by hookers.
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:18 pmI'm not sure what is going on that week. I can't seem to find anything huge that I recognize. There's a USA Girl's Volleyball championship and the International Cosmetics Conference.
Vegas.gif
Vegas.gif (543.08 KiB) Viewed 262 times