Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Good Week @ 996Outpost.com

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:19 am

Today I learned that there are actually 5 giant-ass patches of floating plastic, not just the one in the Pacific everyone knows about.

I'm one more depressing news story away from buying a passel of goats and 1031ing my house for a nice cave...

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Einsteiger
He's Back and He's Angry

Post by Einsteiger » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:28 am

The rest of the world dumps all of their crap in the ocean and laughs at the US for our EPA, and other attempts at control. Yet, when shit like this is discovered, they all want to blame the US.

Has anyone actually SEEN one of these floating islands? Real observations - not doctored Facebook photos or other propaganda.
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Metallic
OP Kansas

DBJoe996
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by DBJoe996 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:40 am

Just Google image search "great pacific garbage patch"

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:58 am

32wildbilly wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:02 pm
FRUNKenstein wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:47 am Yeah, I agree that the $18,500 asking is too rich. That being said, I could see paying the $15,750 that I sold it for (when it had 148k miles), and maybe a bit more based on that recent maintenance. This seller probably paid about $16,000 or $16,500 for it based on the asking price last year. If he truly did an engine & transmission-out service on it, then's he's losing money even at $18,500. But, rarely is money spent on maintenance ever fully recouped.

If it was 3 years from now, so that I had the discretionary funds and the space for it, I'd definitely take a shot at buying it back, maybe even going as high as $16,500. At the moment, though, we are making a push to get our house paid off, plus I've got this really sweet mid-engined, exotic Italian sportscar taking up needed space in my garage that's going up on BaT this fall. :D So, I'm out.
Tell gnat!!
*grumble* *grumble* You bastard! *shakes fist* *grumble* *grumble*

Meh. I'm over it now. The time to have a second 996 is past and I've moved on to making fun of people that try to change their Google password through Apple Mail...
5chn3ll wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:19 am Today I learned that there are actually 5 giant-ass patches of floating plastic, not just the one in the Pacific everyone knows about.

I'm one more depressing news story away from buying a passel of goats and 1031ing my house for a nice cave...
The "Friendly Floatees" is my favorite "patch": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendly_Floatees

At least they ended up being useful for something in the end.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:06 am

gnat wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:58 am
32wildbilly wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:02 pm
Tell gnat!!
*grumble* *grumble* You bastard! *shakes fist* *grumble* *grumble*

Meh. I'm over it now. The time to have a second 996 is past and I've moved on to making fun of people that try to change their Google password through Apple Mail...
...and a noble crusade it is!
Never gonna make you cry...

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:14 am

5chn3ll wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:19 am Today I learned that there are actually 5 giant-ass patches of floating plastic, not just the one in the Pacific everyone knows about.

I have no proof so I'm just conspiracy thinking here with my tinfoil hat on. We have been paying and shipping our recyclables to Chhiinna for some time until recently. I wonder how much of the plastic refuse in the ocean actually came through that arrangement? Much cheaper to just dump it in the ocean when no-one is looking than to process it. I have seen live video of that freakin floating mess and as a rabid snorkeler it makes me sick.
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:58 am

China has finally been cracking down on some of the more hardcore environmental violations - not out of any ecological sense of urgency, but more because entire areas were being rendered uninhabitable due to some of their "recycling" practices.

The book "Junkyard Planet" is an interesting read - you get an idea of the scale of the global junk situation. It also makes you wonder what's going to happen when we run out of third-world countries willing to import our garbage.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:14 am

5chn3ll wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:58 am China has finally been cracking down on some of the more hardcore environmental violations - not out of any ecological sense of urgency, but more because entire areas were being rendered uninhabitable due to some of their "recycling" practices.

The book "Junkyard Planet" is an interesting read - you get an idea of the scale of the global junk situation. It also makes you wonder what's going to happen when we run out of third-world countries willing to import our garbage.
Edward Burtynsky has done some good photography projects on some of that too:

https://www.edwardburtynsky.com/project ... ipbreaking
https://www.edwardburtynsky.com/project ... graphs/oil
https://www.edwardburtynsky.com/project ... rban-mines
https://www.edwardburtynsky.com/project ... s/tailings

(I've seen the first two shows in person, I was not aware of the 3rd and 4th)

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:03 pm

Well, boys, I'm casting away and going to go live among the garbage.

2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:17 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:03 pm Well, boys, I'm casting away and going to go live among the garbage.

#whatcouldpossiblygowrong

Sounds great until:

1) You wake up in the morning and find you are no where near your car and the rest of your gear.
2) You wake up as you go over a water fall or enter white water.
3) You wake up stuck in a sinking canvas coffin because inflatable things NEVER leak and fumbling around in a sinking inflatable craft to find and open the door will be so easy after being jolted awake by a sinking feeling.

:lol:

I actually can see use for it as part of an emergency preparedness setup in an area that floods, but for camping? No.