Starlink

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Starlink

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:38 am

Yeah who cares. We don't need to watch the sky. As long as Elon makes money that's the important thing.
sigh
Astronomers find SpaceX satellites are contaminating pictures of space more than ever before

SpaceX’s Starlink satellites are leaving 35 times more traces in astronomers photographs over two years, a new study has found.

It is also believed that, by the time Starlink has been completed, every image will have one track – a white line - across it.
Never gonna make you cry...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:46 am

Apparently Elon uses the same Ponzi scheme for Starlink that he uses for Tesla.
Business Insider
Some Starlink customers say SpaceX's customer service is 'non-existent' nearly 1 year after paying a $100 deposit and receiving no updates

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:41 am

Boy! My guess is there are numerous systems on Craigslist or will be shortly. Especially in the San Diego area.
Elon Musk's SpaceX says a geomagnetic storm wiped out 40 of the 49 Starlink satellites it launched into orbit last week

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:44 am

Dang I mean I'm going to take some liberty here on a Porsche forum here and just go out there and say - aren't those things predictable?
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:09 am

Uh...Yep.
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:44 am Dang I mean I'm going to take some liberty here on a Porsche forum here and just go out there and say - aren't those things predictable?

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:40 am

"Science? We don't got no Science. We don't need no stinkin' Science! Pass the doobie."

Children flinging 575# satellites into the air.

sigh...
Solar Storm Knocks 40 SpaceX Satellites Out of the Sky, After the Company Ignored Scientists' Warnings

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:04 am

Not gonna step up for Musk - but the Starlink pizza-box satellites can normally be reoriented in such a way that the additional atmospheric drag caused by solar flares can be mitigated. The details are kind of murky, but it appears that SpaceX wasn't able to reorient 80% of that batch of satellites for some reason - and the Xenon ion thrusters weren't powerful enough to raise the satellites' orbit in time to prevent deorbiting.

Amazon and other tech companies are desperate to build out similar LEO constellations of comms satellites. Musk isn't the only guy who is trying to f**k up terrestrial stargazing...he's just the first.

On a related note: If anyone wants a never-used 2nd-gen (rectangular) Starlink dish, PM me. I'll make you a deal.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:18 am

Does it come with a gaggle of neighborhood cats?

On a serious note how much damage could be done to another orbiting item by a 575# satellite or thousands of them? Makes me think of the Millennium Falcon going through the asteroid field.
Start at at 1:50 if not there already:

5chn3ll wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:04 am Not gonna step up for Musk - but the Starlink pizza-box satellites can normally be reoriented in such a way that the additional atmospheric drag caused by solar flares can be mitigated. The details are kind of murky, but it appears that SpaceX wasn't able to reorient 80% of that batch of satellites for some reason - and the Xenon ion thrusters weren't powerful enough to raise the satellites' orbit in time to prevent deorbiting.

Amazon and other tech companies are desperate to build out similar LEO constellations of comms satellites. Musk isn't the only guy who is trying to f**k up terrestrial stargazing...he's just the first.

On a related note: If anyone wants a never-used 2nd-gen (rectangular) Starlink dish, PM me. I'll make you a deal.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:47 am

The Starlink constellation sits in a really low orbit compared to most everything else... for example, here's what the Starlink orbit looks like compared to GPS:

Starlink:
Starlink.png
Starlink.png (175.88 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
GPS:
GPS.png
GPS.png (122.09 KiB) Viewed 1001 times

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:14 am

Both of those represent a lot of crap up there floating around.

BTW did you ever get your system working up in the mountains?
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:47 am The Starlink constellation sits in a really low orbit compared to most everything else... for example, here's what the Starlink orbit looks like compared to GPS:

Starlink:
Starlink.png

GPS:
GPS.png