Our new to us Volvo XC40 R-Design...

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Our new to us Volvo XC40 R-Design...

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:04 am

This is true. Somebody needs to tell Elon or at least some of the fools who buy his cars.
Dgi 07 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:59 am These should be highlighted and bold.
They are assist systems. To Assist the driver, not to take over completely.
Also, doesn't work in fog and dusty conditions.

I'm a tech for MB, so I get to play with all these systems every day. There are a lot of shortcomings of all the systems.
Never gonna make you cry...

Dgi 07
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Dgi 07 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:06 am

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:04 am This is true. Somebody needs to tell Elon or at least some of the fools who buy his cars.
Dgi 07 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:59 am These should be highlighted and bold.
They are assist systems. To Assist the driver, not to take over completely.
Also, doesn't work in fog and dusty conditions.

I'm a tech for MB, so I get to play with all these systems every day. There are a lot of shortcomings of all the systems.
too late...they already drank the koolaid!!!
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am ...an eternity of being sodomized by a giant phallus made of crushed, reformed ghost peppers.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:08 am

Seems we will have to depend on Darwinism to weed out the weak ones.

BTW I turned off Lane Departure as it won't let me take corners the way I want...i.e. apex everything! :roll:
Dgi 07 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:06 am
32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:04 am This is true. Somebody needs to tell Elon or at least some of the fools who buy his cars.
too late...they already drank the koolaid!!!

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:09 pm

Congrats on the little hauler. That's a good looking crossover. Is this the one that is going to go to soon-to-be driving grandkid?
32wildbilly wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:52 am So far I do like the car just wished it had a few more ponies although I haven't driven it too much. Rated at 248hp/5500rpm and 258tor. 1800-4800rpm. It is capable but doesn't "feel" fast/quick even in Dynamic mode. i'm beginning to believe I'm turning into a speed freak as I get older. I might have to breakdown and buy the Volvo Polestar flash which remaps engine response, suspension settings, etc.

I think daily driving a Type R with a Porsche 911 as a weekend car has skewed your perspective just ever so slightly :D
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:30 pm

No No No! The Volvo is the replacement for the Rav which is going to the Grandkid.

You are correct about my need for performance has been skewed by the other cars...and I love it!

BTW I found the Volvo is quite entertaining in "Dynamic mode" and using the paddle shifters!
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:09 pm Congrats on the little hauler. That's a good looking crossover. Is this the one that is going to go to soon-to-be driving grandkid?
32wildbilly wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:52 am So far I do like the car just wished it had a few more ponies although I haven't driven it too much. Rated at 248hp/5500rpm and 258tor. 1800-4800rpm. It is capable but doesn't "feel" fast/quick even in Dynamic mode. i'm beginning to believe I'm turning into a speed freak as I get older. I might have to breakdown and buy the Volvo Polestar flash which remaps engine response, suspension settings, etc.

I think daily driving a Type R with a Porsche 911 as a weekend car has skewed your perspective just ever so slightly :D

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:38 pm

Ok I'm going to call them "active seatbelts"...

On I-480 downtown Omaha after dropping the oldest kid at the airport. Going @ 60mph in the center of three lanes about 200 feet behind the car in front. Dude slams his brakes on then swerves to the outside lane and reveals a Camry dead stopped in the center lane! I stand on the brakes to buy time to confirm which lane I should dump into. When I do the seatbelts go all Robocop and jam both of us into our respective seats! I'm talkin race car five way belts tight and I didn't even activate the ABS. I had plenty of time to get whoa'd up and change lanes at which time the seatbelts relax. As I went by the car it was still at a dead stop directly behind a small tree branch(@1/2" in diameter) with leaves on it.

I mean it was not even a close call but the Swed's must have thought so. I gotta look that function up in the non-existent owners manual. That would have been nice to know before it actually happened.

The seat belt reaction scared the Bejesus out of both of us! GD smart cars...

theprf
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by theprf » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:57 pm

I read a report from Mercedes (?) about 10-15 years ago. They determined that in a panic situation the average driver hits the brake sharply, with a lot of speed, but not very hard. They modified the brake booster to apply a much larger than normal amount of pedal assistance in that particular situation: brake pushed very fast but not very hard, with the end result that the brake gets pushed "harder" than the driver realizes. It's actually a fantastic way to help drivers without any real inconvenience. The goal is to get on the brake hard enough to get into the ABS, which is what the driver should do in a panic situation.
I kind of like the Volvo arrangement. Pyrotechnic seatbelt tensioners have been around a long time, the 996 has then from '02 and up. Of course those are single use. The electromagentic (?) tensioners can be used repeatedly. By holding the occupants in the seats in the correct position they are much less likely to hit any surfaces in the car, and much more likely to be able to operate the controls.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:17 pm

I get that now and appreciate it, but the unexpected tightening was shocking. I know "RTFM" but the online version of the owners manual is 637 pages long!
theprf wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:57 pm
By holding the occupants in the seats in the correct position they are much less likely to hit any surfaces in the car, and much more likely to be able to operate the controls.

theprf
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by theprf » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:20 pm

Six hundred thirty seven pages doesn't seem too bad. I'm working on a project using an Arm 32 CPU made by ST. The documentation for this CPU is about 12,000 pages long. The CPU weighs about 1 gram. Scaled by weight you should have about 30 million pages of documentation for your Volvo.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:29 pm

theprf wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:20 pm Six hundred thirty seven pages doesn't seem too bad. I'm working on a project using an Arm 32 CPU made by ST. The documentation for this CPU is about 12,000 pages long.
This is why I buy dev boards with boot loaders already installed to use pre-existing libraries.

I gave assembler the finger in the 80s and I plan to keep right on doing that until I no longer have the finger strength to type. I appreciate the skill (and insanity) of those that work at such low levels, but it ain't for me.