AutoX

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

AutoX

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:02 pm

So last Sunday I took the Ricermobile to a local car club AutoX. First time for me and the car. The course is setup in a high school parking lot and much smaller/tighter than any of the SCCA course I've seen. BTW Lincoln hosts the Nationals for SCCA AutoX.

I started with a dismal time on the first lap, but improved my time on each of the following 7 laps except for one when I got lost which cost me 2 seconds!

I found out that driving a turbo car on a tight circuit is challenging to say the least. Mash the throttle coming out of a hairpin corner and "1,000 one-1,000 two-Holy CRAP!" I also discovered that the All Season tires I put on suck for AutoX. I did use them because the outer edge of the thread is now
"scuffed in". I may be bug bit because I've been on TireRack numerous times looking at 19" wheels and AA traction rated tires.

This club is a British Car Club most populated with older dudes who became tired of the SCCA drama, but they let any make of car under 3 liters compete if you join the club. After my first set of four laps a few of them wandered over asking questions about the car and expressing kind compliments.

Here's what they don't know and neither did I: I totally forgot to disable the VSA system. I think with sticky lower diameter tires and all the nannies turned off there is some more speed in this toy...
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Re: AutoX

Post by gnat » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:33 pm

Heh. Now imagine those AS tires on too small for purpose wheels on a 5500lb pig with a high center of gravity :lol:

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:47 pm

Oh Hell NO!

Another rule with this club in addition to the 3 liter and under is no SUVs. Dude said "we have never had anybody turn over yet and plan to continue that way."

Too bad on 3 liter because the 996 would tear that course a new A-hole. Of course Jake would hunt me down and beat my azz if I did!
gnat wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:33 pm Heh. Now imagine those AS tires on too small for purpose wheels on a 5500lb pig with a high center of gravity :lol:

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:51 pm

Don't let them sell you a Spitfire, Billy! "Lawn ornament? Don't be so vulgar, old boy, it's a sculpture!"
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:56 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:47 pm Oh Hell NO!

Another rule with this club in addition to the 3 liter and under is no SUVs. Dude said "we have never had anybody turn over yet and plan to continue that way."

Too bad on 3 liter because the 996 would tear that course a new A-hole. Of course Jake would hunt me down and beat my azz if I did!
gnat wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:33 pm Heh. Now imagine those AS tires on too small for purpose wheels on a 5500lb pig with a high center of gravity :lol:
They just haven't driven the right SUV. Even with the wrong wheels/tires and without PDCC and air suspension, the Cayenne can eat up a course. The diesel is a 3.0l too :mrgreen:

Now that DT has some pull at Summit Point and I have better shoes for it I should see if he can convince them to let me take it out. I'd like to AX it again too to see how it does with the wheels/tires.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:07 pm

Re: SUVs

Tell em you know a guy https://photos.app.goo.gl/6W3LzpPig956QVnz7

theprf
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by theprf » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:47 pm

A friend of mine tracks his Cayenne Turbo... at Palmer for pete's sake. This track is like racing in a parking garage.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:49 pm

Wow! Is that you?

If that's you, you did well and it didn't even turn over. Actually that thing is rotating well.

That course is small particularly the runoff area after the finish! I would not be one of those folks standing at the end of the runoff!
gnat wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:07 pm Re: SUVs

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:31 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:49 pm Wow! Is that you?

If that's you, you did well and it didn't even turn over. Actually that thing is rotating well.

That course is small particularly the runoff area after the finish! I would not be one of those folks standing at the end of the runoff!
gnat wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:07 pm Re: SUVs

That is me when it was about 3 months old. You are actually only seeing about half the course in that video, but it was tight with a lot of gates. That played well for me against the more powerful 911s in the field as they had trouble staying on power while I had all mine right off idle.

There is definitely a lot of roll which I expect the PDCC and air suspension would cut way down. Still it is damn impressive how controllable and undramatic it was.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:32 am

That is funny because there was a dude there with a yellow Spitfire he was trying to sell to get money for his three lawn ornament projects at home.
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:51 pm Don't let them sell you a Spitfire, Billy! "Lawn ornament? Don't be so vulgar, old boy, it's a sculpture!"