AutoX

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: AutoX

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:11 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:27 am
The guy that placed 4th is no doubt bitching about your fancy new motor mount.

will-ferrell-the-house.gif
I don't give away all my secrets...loose lips sink ships.
Never gonna make you cry...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:23 am

An interesting note. The last guy of the second heat looped his Miata and slid through the finish taking out the timing devices that were secured from blowing over with 3# bags of flour! The impact surgically removed his side sill cover. We have a second set but most people had enough of the wind and less than idea temperature and we packed it in. Nobody could figure out how the guy lost it and he didn't want to talk while picking up his "spare parts". It was a straight shot for about 75 feet before the timing lights after a mild left slalom. He spun the opposite direction than what one would expect.

It was impressive with flour flying everywhere.

02TX996Cab
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 02TX996Cab » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:19 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:19 pm First one of the season was this last Sunday. Around 55f with a 20-35mph wind with higher gusts. Nice weather for standing out in an open parking lot.

Third fastest time of 15 cars!!! The aftermarket rear motor mount helped a lot. Also the course designer laid out a course that had only two turns over 90 degrees. The rest of the course was mostly 3/4 to full throttle in second gear. Very easy to keep in boost.

The top two cars were a Miata(course designer with 30 years of experience) and a Westfield(kinda like a Lotus Super Seven and God only knows what engine Charlie has in that thing. Plus he has 30+ years of AutoX).

I am quite pleased.
Nicely done!

BTW a Westfield is indeed a Lotus 7 knockoff. I have an acquaintance in the UK who had one about 20 years ago, running a 2.0L NA motor from a Ford Mondeo (the Brit equivalent of the Taurus). Even with that meager motor the car was still wicked quick, primarily because it a) handles so well and b) weighs next to nothing.
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:47 pm

02TX996Cab wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:19 pm Nicely done!
BTW a Westfield is indeed a Lotus 7 knockoff. I have an acquaintance in the UK who had one about 20 years ago, running a 2.0L NA motor from a Ford Mondeo (the Brit equivalent of the Taurus). Even with that meager motor the car was still wicked quick, primarily because it a) handles so well and b) weighs next to nothing.
Thanks!

Charlie the Westfield guy is real smooth. You are right that car weighs nothing and has almost slick sticky tires.

theprf

Post by theprf » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:01 am

Congrats!
(It is a bit addictive, no?)

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:01 am

theprf wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:01 am Congrats!
(It is a bit addictive, no?)
Thanks and, uh yeah, especially with my proven in the past addictive personality!

So much FUN!

theprf

Post by theprf » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:17 am

So,,, what's the verdict? You're still out doing these, right?

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:38 am

theprf wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:17 am So,,, what's the verdict? You're still out doing these, right?
Absolutely! May was ok. I had the fast time in the first session in my run group, but then improved only slightly while the others had better improvements through the day. It was an open/fast course and I found myself over-driving and entering the sweepers too fast initiating push. I did utilize your suggestion on braking to transfer weight back to the front and it worked, but I was just too inconsistent. Same old...same old. I ended up mid-pack overall. Not disappointed because it is SO much fun, I'm old and still learning!

I think I am up against tires at this point and here's why: Most everybody is running 200TW or lower tires and when it is cooler is when I am most competitive as their tires lose grip. I am going to switch back to my OEM Contis which are 240TW with a 30 profile as opposed to 300TW with a 35 profile on the car now. That should help and figured I should use those tires up as they've been sitting in the basement doing nothing with less than 1k miles on them.

Next event is June 26th

Thanks for asking.

theprf

Post by theprf » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:47 am

Autox is difficult for tire selection because the run is so short. There isn't enough time to get any heat into the tires. I have read tire reviews that show some of the ~200TW tires heat up fast - which is good for Autox - then get slippery as they heat further - which is bad for lapping events. Tire pressure is another, not much time to get to a hot pressure so your cold pressure has to be spot on.

You can practice left foot braking while driving around town. I did this and it helped my left foot learn finesse.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:47 am

So today was AutoX day.

Two in critical condition after Seacrest Field Parking Lot Shooting

LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) The Lincoln Police Department is investigating the shooting of two people at the Seacrest Field Parking lot that left a 19-year-old man and 24-year-old woman, both from Lincoln, in critical condition.

On Sunday at about 2:30 a.m., LPD officers responded to reports of a shooting in the Seacrest Field Parking lot at 1000 S. 70th St. where they located the man who had been shot. Officers then located the second victim, a woman, in the area of 70th and O Streets after she had left the scene in a vehicle.

Both victims were taken to the hospital for treatment.
This is our parking lot and the Sargent was guessing they would be done @noon. Of course at 08:30 he guessed 10:00. We left. My guess is a drug deal gone wrong. There were yellow bullet casing markers all over the lot! Here is where I would add a comment about needing more guns, but this is the wrong thread/forum so I won't.

I_am_BUMMED.