My BringATrailer.com Selling Experience

How will FRUNK's BaT auction turn out?

It's going to be awesome - FRUNK will get top dollar in an easy-peasy transaction.
83%
It'll be "meh" - lots of work and waiting for it to bring a price that he could have sold it anywhere for.
17%
Oh, this is gonna be a freakin' trainwreck - the auction commenters will tear the car up, FRUNK will lose his mind over it, and the entire thing will go up in a fiery, self-immolating explosion. Definitely "must see TV" to watch this auction. I can't wait!
No votes

Total votes: 6

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

My BringATrailer.com Selling Experience

Post by FRUNKenstein » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:40 pm

So, my Laguna Blue '75 914 2.0 has been accepted by BringATrailer.com ("BaT") for auction on its site. This thread will be a timeline of how that experience as a seller goes. I bought this car in a private-party deal where the car was never advertised online. I'm selling this car because I had another 914 offered to me in another private-party deal that was too good to pass up, but approval from the wife came with the caveat that I sell this blue 914.

I am often asked "How should I sell my (fill in the blank classic/enthusiast car)." If it has any value to it, I normally recommend using BaT as it appears to consistently get top-of-the-market sale prices. Plus, the seller's fee is only $99. When I was in the market to buy this 914 in spring 2020, I bid on several BaT auctions. They all either went significantly above my estimate of fair market value, or ended as "no sale - reserve not met."

I have sold two cars on BaT in the past - a Sterling kit car in 2016 and an older Jaguar XJR in 2017. I offered both at "no reserve" and they both brought many bids and a fair price. The prices weren't top-of-the-market back then, but I was happy with them. The popularity of BaT has skyrocketed since 2017, though, and consequently reaches many more buyers, resulting in better sales prices.

The downside to BaT for a seller appears threefold:
1. It's a hassle to get all of the info together for the writeup, and then you have to take a TON of pics, including detailed underside pics;
2. It's hard to get your car accepted - according to online reports, BaT only accepts about 25% of the cars offered to them. And you must do all of the work required for #1 before you even submit your car for consideration, meaning that 75% of the time, you did all of that work only to be turned down. I submitted my X1/9 for sale back in the fall of 2019, and it was promptly turned down;
3. It takes a long time for the car to come up for auction once it is accepted by BaT. I submitted the car for consideration on July 11th (Sunday), and on July 12th it was accepted by BaT. So, that was very timely. I got a few additional form emails about the process, but didn't get anything that indicated it would be coming up for auction anytime soon until August 11th, when I was given the name of the person assigned to write the ad. In fairness, they said on July 11th that it would be several weeks before it would be its turn to be auctioned. I replied to the August 11th email from my writer with a brief introduction and letting the writer know that I can provide any additional info or photos or video that he needs. I haven't received a reply as of this writing (8/18). So, if you want to get your car on the market right away, BaT probably isn't the best way. I did all of the sale prep work so that I could have listed on eBay back on July 11th. Would it have sold by now, and at top dollar? I'm not confident on either point. Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining about the BaT wait nor upset about it. I'm just pointing out for potential sellers that BaT isn't instant gratification. I don't recall anywhere near this wait back in 2017.

I'll keep updating this thread as things continue. This car is a nice driver quality car, but definitely not perfect. There are plenty of warts on it, and I'll be very upfront about the condition. Consequently, I am expecting the peanut gallery to have several critical comments. So, the auction itself should be pretty entertaining. I can't wait for the first person to ask me if the IMS bearing has been replaced . . .

IMG_1161.jpg
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

Einsteiger

Re: My BringATrailer.com Selling Experience

Post by Einsteiger » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:46 pm

It’ll be great. You’ve paid your BAT dues and will reap the rewards of frenzied bidding.

There may be a 1st gen 996 coming up in the coming months. 😎
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:07 pm

Einsteiger wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:46 pm There may be a 1st gen 996 coming up in the coming months. 😎
No! How can you consider letting go of that car? You likely won't find as lovely a color as that ever again.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:15 pm

True this...
gnat wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:07 pm
Einsteiger wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:46 pm There may be a 1st gen 996 coming up in the coming months. 😎
No! How can you consider letting go of that car? You likely won't find as lovely a color as that ever again.
Never gonna make you cry...

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:39 pm

In the spirit of brotherhood and optimism I vote easy-peasy lemon-squeezy.

In a series of blinks do you want to indicate to us how much you're hoping for?

j/k GLWS!
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:12 pm

let us know when it goes live!
FRUNKenstein wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:40 pm So, my Laguna Blue '75 914 2.0 has been accepted by BringATrailer.com ("BaT") for auction on its site. This thread will be a timeline of how that experience as a seller goes. I bought this car in a private-party deal where the car was never advertised online. I'm selling this car because I had another 914 offered to me in another private-party deal that was too good to pass up, but approval from the wife came with the caveat that I sell this blue 914.

I am often asked "How should I sell my (fill in the blank classic/enthusiast car)." If it has any value to it, I normally recommend using BaT as it appears to consistently get top-of-the-market sale prices. Plus, the seller's fee is only $99. When I was in the market to buy this 914 in spring 2020, I bid on several BaT auctions. They all either went significantly above my estimate of fair market value, or ended as "no sale - reserve not met."

I have sold two cars on BaT in the past - a Sterling kit car in 2016 and an older Jaguar XJR in 2017. I offered both at "no reserve" and they both brought many bids and a fair price. The prices weren't top-of-the-market back then, but I was happy with them. The popularity of BaT has skyrocketed since 2017, though, and consequently reaches many more buyers, resulting in better sales prices.

The downside to BaT for a seller appears threefold:
1. It's a hassle to get all of the info together for the writeup, and then you have to take a TON of pics, including detailed underside pics;
2. It's hard to get your car accepted - according to online reports, BaT only accepts about 25% of the cars offered to them. And you must do all of the work required for #1 before you even submit your car for consideration, meaning that 75% of the time, you did all of that work only to be turned down. I submitted my X1/9 for sale back in the fall of 2019, and it was promptly turned down;
3. It takes a long time for the car to come up for auction once it is accepted by BaT. I submitted the car for consideration on July 11th (Sunday), and on July 12th it was accepted by BaT. So, that was very timely. I got a few additional form emails about the process, but didn't get anything that indicated it would be coming up for auction anytime soon until August 11th, when I was given the name of the person assigned to write the ad. In fairness, they said on July 11th that it would be several weeks before it would be its turn to be auctioned. I replied to the August 11th email from my writer with a brief introduction and letting the writer know that I can provide any additional info or photos or video that he needs. I haven't received a reply as of this writing (8/18). So, if you want to get your car on the market right away, BaT probably isn't the best way. I did all of the sale prep work so that I could have listed on eBay back on July 11th. Would it have sold by now, and at top dollar? I'm not confident on either point. Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining about the BaT wait nor upset about it. I'm just pointing out for potential sellers that BaT isn't instant gratification. I don't recall anywhere near this wait back in 2017.

I'll keep updating this thread as things continue. This car is a nice driver quality car, but definitely not perfect. There are plenty of warts on it, and I'll be very upfront about the condition. Consequently, I am expecting the peanut gallery to have several critical comments. So, the auction itself should be pretty entertaining. I can't wait for the first person to ask me if the IMS bearing has been replaced . . .

IMG_1161.jpg
Never gonna make you cry...

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:19 pm

Today I got an email telling me that my auction listing is ready for review. Once I approve the listing write-up, the car will go live about 48 hours later.

I bought a replacement speedometer, a used one, from a Porsche parts seller on ebay. The old odometer wasn't working, and I tried to repair it. The repair didn't work, and in the process, I managed to mess up the calibration on the speedometer. I installed the replacement, and the speedometer works just fine, but the odometer doesn't work. The ebay seller had told me that I could return it if it didn't work, but at this point I think I will just sell it with the odometer not functioning. It is being sold "true mileage unknown" anyway. Apparently this is a thing with 914s as I looked at the last 8 or 10 auctions on BaT and they were all "true mileage unknown".

The writer did a pretty good job with the listing writeup. There are a couple of things I need to correct, but they got almost everything correct. I just need to add a couple of more pictures (I'll take those tonight), and I'm good to go. So, the auction should go live by the end of the week.
Current:
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:15 pm

Sounds like square logic. Shopping 914's is not for the mileage-conscious.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:54 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:15 pm Sounds like square logic. Shopping 914's is not for the mileage-conscious.
I just finished installing the new speedometer (no tools required), uploaded new photos and submitted my writeup corrections. Hopefully it will get turned around tomorrow for final approval. At least we're finally getting close to going live.
Current:
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:49 am

OK, I approved the final edits this morning. According to BaT, the auction should go live in the next 48 hours.
Current:
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys: