What did you do to/with your 996 today?

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:23 pm

I_did.png
I_did.png (375.65 KiB) Viewed 929 times
32wildbilly wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:42 pm So then Herr 5chn3ll was right on his previous post. That SUX! Nice job "Porsch".

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:29 pm

I live for that meme.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:13 pm

You and me both, brother.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

theprf
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by theprf » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:32 am

Went to the track, Lime Rock Park to be exact, with some friends. I have increased the potential of this car so much that exploring the limits is downright scary. I know that I can push it harder. Getting the gumption to just turn the steering wheel a little more is harder than you might think.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:19 am

theprf wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:32 am Went to the track, Lime Rock Park to be exact, with some friends. I have increased the potential of this car so much that exploring the limits is downright scary. I know that I can push it harder. Getting the gumption to just turn the steering wheel a little more is harder than you might think.
Nice! So it would be an understatement to say the performance is vastly improved?
Never gonna make you cry...

theprf

Post by theprf » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:36 am

32wildbilly wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:19 am Nice! So it would be an understatement to say the performance is vastly improved?
The car's performance probably improved. However I drove it slower than previous trips to this track, although it did not feel like I was driving slow.
In the past I have used kinetic cues like body roll in the corners or nose dive on braking to help understand what the car is doing. With the upgraded suspension it does not have any body roll or any nose dive. It's hard to tell when the car is approaching the limit of adhesion. It is set up slightly biased to understeer so the front tires should give up first and start drifting wider. No racer would want that; it should be easier to drive though. I still think of all that weight on the back tires and what happens when the back lets go.
Upshot is that I need to relearn how to drive it fast. The instructors in the track day group I use don't have any 911 experience so I am searching for another group that does. Our local PCA is useless for track day events, they are a white wine and deviated stitching group.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:28 am

theprf wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:36 am
32wildbilly wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:19 am Nice! So it would be an understatement to say the performance is vastly improved?
The car's performance probably improved. However I drove it slower than previous trips to this track, although it did not feel like I was driving slow.
In the past I have used kinetic cues like body roll in the corners or nose dive on braking to help understand what the car is doing. With the upgraded suspension it does not have any body roll or any nose dive. It's hard to tell when the car is approaching the limit of adhesion. It is set up slightly biased to understeer so the front tires should give up first and start drifting wider. No racer would want that; it should be easier to drive though. I still think of all that weight on the back tires and what happens when the back lets go.
Upshot is that I need to relearn how to drive it fast. The instructors in the track day group I use don't have any 911 experience so I am searching for another group that does. Our local PCA is useless for track day events, they are a white wine and deviated stitching group.
I feel your pain on local PCAs. I can't even get my group to even entertain doing AutoX! That's why I joined a local British car club. They AutoX once per month and "if you join you are welcome to bring the car of your choice."

Your car sounds fun. A little understeer is not necessarily a bad thing as it sends a message to the driver to "reconsider your actions". Much better than sudden(snap) oversteer.

theprf

Post by theprf » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:44 am

Oh I know about understeer. I drove my VW for 80+ track days, with the cast iron VR6 engine located in front of the front axle about all you can get is understeer. I learned how to manage it and I am actually faster driving the VW around these tracks than the 911.
VW: 2500 pounds, 270 HP, tires are 205/50-15
911: 3300 pounds, 450hp, tires are 305/35-18
Crazy. It should not be like that.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:51 am

theprf wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:44 am Oh I know about understeer. I drove my VW for 80+ track days, with the cast iron VR6 engine located in front of the front axle about all you can get is understeer. I learned how to manage it and I am actually faster driving the VW around these tracks than the 911.
VW: 2500 pounds, 270 HP, tires are 205/50-15
911: 3300 pounds, 450hp, tires are 305/35-18
Crazy. It should not be like that.
The important thing is you are having fun! Who cares about lap times as long as when you get out of the car after a session you have a huge grin.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:23 am

Ok so my tires are about to age out and I will be replacing them probably next Spring. Below are some details and followup questions.

Before I bought the car one thing the PPI revealed was a previous repair(welding) of the left rear wheel approximately in the center of the drum and about 2.5" long. I am at a loss what would cause that type of repair being needed(other than running over a pipe...). In addition the on insides of both rear wheel flanges were scraped up. Not deep stuff. Not even what I would call curb rash just roughed up. My guess would be caused by pull through car washes or the ridges that keep you from driving off of a lift or into the pit during an oil change. Shortly after I purchased the car I had my Indi replace the tires. His comments on the rears was "both rears are slightly bent. The tires balanced easily and I did not notice any vibration during the test drive. If vibrations are felt at higher speeds the wheels should be addressed." When I questioned him what speed he tested to he only grinned and I understood his point. This is a guy who sold his business and went to work as an engine builder/test pilot for the Red Bull team in the World Champion Air Race series so I know he went FAST. The left wheel does not lose air and since I only tool around with the car I was not/am not terribly concerned.

Since the tires will be replaced I am considering replacing the rears which leads to my questions:

The wheels are OEM M415 Turbo Look wheels solid spoke 18"x11". These wheels are like hen's teeth. Almost impossible to find. Hollow spokes are almost in the unobtainium realm.

What are the thoughts about "reconditioned" wheels? Even then these wheels are few and far between. I have found them(maybe) at a place in Cali named "stockwheels.com".

What say you? Leave existing wheels on? Buy reconditioned? Buy used? Buy new?(if available) Why is there air?