What did you do to/with your 996 today?

theprf
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Re: What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Post by theprf » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:50 pm

Hallelujah, the transmission is confirmed delivered to California Motorsports. I think. I'm still waiting for CMS to confirm receipt. I do have a delivery confirmation from Fedex though.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:11 pm

I'm guessing you won't be using FedEx for the return trip!

Glad it appears to have been found.
theprf wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:50 pm Hallelujah, the transmission is confirmed delivered to California Motorsports. I think. I'm still waiting for CMS to confirm receipt. I do have a delivery confirmation from Fedex though.
Never gonna make you cry...

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:56 pm

I hope they do have it!!
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:08 pm

It took Jeep no more than 7 days to determine that my rough idle condition is exacerbated by (wait for it...) blown motor mounts.

I like the Jeep, but the next-level "we don't know shit if there's no code" ineptitude I can do without.

They also quoted $180 labor to "remove and replace" the aux battery. The current auxiliary battery is sitting in the back seat, the aux battery leads in the battery box are wrapped with Kapton tape to keep them from shorting, and the mounting hardware is in the rear pass door cubby - so I'm having A REALLY HARD F**KING TIME with the hour-and-a-half labor estimate. Since I shamed them into selling me parts at cost @ the Mopar parts counter after the whole "you only get one key with your same-year CPO Grand Cherokee" purchase, I'll be plopping that bitch into the smuggler's box my own damn self.

Spiffy Knowledge Corner: If you want to smuggle something roughly the size of a motorcycle battery between NAFTA-observing countries, disconnect the Aux battery under the passenger seat of your WK2 Grand Cherokee and throw it away. Stuff it with coke. Or meth. Or fentanyl. Whatever floats your hypothetical boat. But maybe dump some coffee grounds in there too, and some bleach to make the sniffer dogs stay away.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:19 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:08 pm Spiffy Knowledge Corner: If you want to smuggle something roughly the size of a motorcycle battery between NAFTA-observing countries, disconnect the Aux battery under the passenger seat of your WK2 Grand Cherokee and throw it away. Stuff it with coke. Or meth. Or fentanyl. Whatever floats your hypothetical boat. But maybe dump some coffee grounds in there too, and some bleach to make the sniffer dogs stay away.
Hey, you won't find this kind of useful info on Rennlist!

jake-peralta-right.gif
jake-peralta-right.gif (332.64 KiB) Viewed 619 times
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:20 pm

You sound like a land bound Treetop Flyer.
Courtesy S. Stills
Well there's things I am, and there's things I'm not
I am a smuggler and I could get shot
Aint going to die, I ain't goin' to get caught,
See I'm a flyin' fool, in an aeroplane, just too hot
I'm a treetop flyer
Born survivor
Usually work alone
5chn3ll wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:08 pm Spiffy Knowledge Corner: If you want to smuggle something roughly the size of a motorcycle battery between NAFTA-observing countries, disconnect the Aux battery under the passenger seat of your WK2 Grand Cherokee and throw it away. Stuff it with coke. Or meth. Or fentanyl. Whatever floats your hypothetical boat. But maybe dump some coffee grounds in there too, and some bleach to make the sniffer dogs stay away.
Never gonna make you cry...

02TX996Cab

Post by 02TX996Cab » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:20 pm

Completed my annual West Texas driving holiday with friends by zipping home 400+ miles, staying just ahead of the crappy cold/ice/snow front hitting Texas this evening and tomorrow.

Car ran flawlessly and trip was a blast. Post-trip cleanup, which'll start after the weather gets above freezing, will be less fun.

Fun fact -- a few of us applied xPel "TracWrap" before our departure. It did a great job supplementing our PPF, which often takes a beating on these trips. The roads have more than their fair share of gravel on top of the asphalt; damaged PPF and at least one cracked windshield typically occur yearly.
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:35 pm

02TX996Cab wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:20 pm Completed my annual West Texas driving holiday with friends by zipping home 400+ miles, staying just ahead of the crappy cold/ice/snow front hitting Texas this evening and tomorrow.

Car ran flawlessly and trip was a blast. Post-trip cleanup, which'll start after the weather gets above freezing, will be less fun.

Fun fact -- a few of us applied xPel "TracWrap" before our departure. It did a great job supplementing our PPF, which often takes a beating on these trips. The roads have more than their fair share of gravel on top of the asphalt; damaged PPF and at least one cracked windshield typically occur yearly.
I've got a sandblasted front clip from my trip across the country. Wish I had researched something like TracWrap that I could have thrown on there before hand. I don't mind having some scars, but there are lot. I tried touch up sticks and it came out terrible. Maybe I should practice.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

DBJoe996
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by DBJoe996 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:48 pm

At 147K miles, my front bumper has some serious road rash and is now starting to spider crack. In 2 weeks bumper cover is coming off and going to the paint shop. $985 all in. The paint shop does all high end cars around here, so I think I'm in good hands.

02TX996Cab

Post by 02TX996Cab » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:25 am

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:35 pm I've got a sandblasted front clip from my trip across the country. Wish I had researched something like TracWrap that I could have thrown on there before hand. I don't mind having some scars, but there are lot. I tried touch up sticks and it came out terrible. Maybe I should practice.
I've seen both TracWrap and blue painters tape used as temporary "road rash" protection. The TracWrap should go on faster (it can be purchased in widths up to 18" IIRC) and is thicker/sturdier than tape, but it's a premium-priced option.

BTW I've now removed the Wrap. It came off cleanly, with only one very small spot of adhesive left behind which was easily removed. Every area protected by the Wrap is perfectly clean and undamaged by any new sand/stone hits. The rest of the car is a grime pit. I'd use TracWrap again without reservation.
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!