What did you do to/with your 996 today?

B3DAWG
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: What did you do to/with your 996 today?

Post by B3DAWG » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:10 pm

OceanBlue2000 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:09 am Little bit of frustration over the weekend. The contractors working on my roof didn’t put the drainage plates in my driveway back correctly and when I drove over them one popped up and did this.

Took it to an old school, works by himself in a little garage, auto body guy and his estimate is less than $200. So while I hesitate to say this was positive, it looks like I’ve got a new auto body guy.
Ouch! Sorry.

Are those white smudges from paint transfer or are those deep scratches? If it's paint transfer, many of the paint shops can buff it down and blend pretty easy. Good news is you have a darker paint which will match a little easier. Be thankful you don't have Porsche ME ChromaFlare or whatever that purplish paint is called. lol I've heard it's a nightmare to blend and even a lot of pro shops won't touch it.

OceanBlue2000
Fresh out of funny, ask Frunk

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:59 am

b3freak wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:10 pm
OceanBlue2000 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:09 am Little bit of frustration over the weekend. The contractors working on my roof didn’t put the drainage plates in my driveway back correctly and when I drove over them one popped up and did this.

Took it to an old school, works by himself in a little garage, auto body guy and his estimate is less than $200. So while I hesitate to say this was positive, it looks like I’ve got a new auto body guy.
Ouch! Sorry.

Are those white smudges from paint transfer or are those deep scratches? If it's paint transfer, many of the paint shops can buff it down and blend pretty easy. Good news is you have a darker paint which will match a little easier. Be thankful you don't have Porsche ME ChromaFlare or whatever that purplish paint is called. lol I've heard it's a nightmare to blend and even a lot of pro shops won't touch it.
There's no damage to the underlying metal, not that I felt. I didn't think it would be expensive, I'm just glad that it's not. Yeah, its a standard dark blue (which I really like), so we'll see. I have an appointment to make an appointment on Monday.
Mike
Strange things I have in head, that will to hand.
2000 Ocean Blue 996 Carrera 2
1982 928 (sold)

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:17 am

Oil change time looms ahead, but today I finally decided not to trust my eye-balling and got the Rhino Ramps down off the shelf. TA-DA! What will not work at the front of the car will JUST work in back. I may end up getting a different drain pan, as my high-capacity plastic one is also designed for storing the oil until it goes to the recycler...it's about 6" thick.
ramps.jpg
ramps.jpg (196.19 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
So this time I'll try the ramps, with a couple of jack stands in place just for extra safety.

The ramps were on their way out to the storage shed...but now I think they'll stay in the garage.
Kevin
1999 C2 - Vesuvio Gray Metallic
Eastern Kansas

OceanBlue2000

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:30 am

Einsteiger wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:17 am Oil change time looms ahead, but today I finally decided not to trust my eye-balling and got the Rhino Ramps down off the shelf. TA-DA! What will not work at the front of the car will JUST work in back. I may end up getting a different drain pan, as my high-capacity plastic one is also designed for storing the oil until it goes to the recycler...it's about 6" thick.
ramps.jpg
So this time I'll try the ramps, with a couple of jack stands in place just for extra safety.

The ramps were on their way out to the storage shed...but now I think they'll stay in the garage.
I have the same problem as you in that the car is lowered compared to stock. I've got Race Ramps, which are longer, so they have a less steep incline. After they are up on the ramps, I can just fit two chocks in front of the front wheels. I feel pretty safe with this setup, even better than jackstands.
Mike
1982 928 (sold)

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:17 pm

Chocks! I forgot that I had a couple of Harbor Freight heavy rubber chocks. Added to the list.

I've wondered if Rhino Ramps have a shelf life of sorts. The two I have are easily 19-20 years old, but they've always been stored inside. No UV damage or whatever.

I Googled "Rhino Ramp failure" and there are damn few documented failures. Most breakage was miss-use, and even those were on the new style Rhino's. If anything, the ones I have look more stout than the new ones at Advance Auto Parts.

Good to go. :)
Kevin
Eastern Kansas

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:04 pm

Let the 996 sit in the garage yesterday while I gave the 928S4 and the 951 some love. Took the 928S4 to pick up my daughter from school of religion classes, then we went to Sonic for some ice cream. Got a compliment on the 928 at a stoplight from a teenage girl, no less. Actually, it was from her boyfriend riding with her and she was just relaying the message as we were sitting on her side of her car.

Then, got in the 951, which has been sitting outside under our front porch all summer because the X1/9 stole its place. It fired right up, air conditioning blew ice cold and I took it to the car wash to knock all the dust off. Afterward took it out on the highway, then to the liquor store to buy the Bride of Frunkenstein several bottles of chardonnay (she needs them - she's married to me). It is amazing how much fun the 951 is to drive - both power delivery and handling. If you have room in your garage, I'd highly recommend picking a 951 up now while they are still reasonably priced.

All in all, a nice reminder that 30+ year old Porsches are still damn fine cars.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

OceanBlue2000

Post by OceanBlue2000 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:54 am

Got the car back after my little incident in my own driveway. I’m pretty happy. I don’t have a lot of experience with body work so even if it was priced right, i feel like I got off cheap. It’s probably going to be more expensive to get my phone face fixed, thanks dog.
Attachments
4E162FCD-2151-4C46-B36B-AD9789EA463F.jpeg
4E162FCD-2151-4C46-B36B-AD9789EA463F.jpeg (81.38 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
Mike
1982 928 (sold)

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:26 am

Excellent! I love happy endings. ;)
Kevin
Eastern Kansas

Einsteiger

Post by Einsteiger » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:13 pm

Today: oil change - six month mark, 1,265 miles. Following the LN Engr play book. Used Driven DT40 again, NAPA gold filter, with the filter magnet thingy.

A great weather day, but this still will likely be my last DIY oil change if we stay in this house. Even with the ramps, it was still crowded, really hot, and I spilled about 1/2 gallon on the driveway because the flow over-ran my drain pan / recycle container. I won't even mention my hassles with the ramps. :( I used the floor jack on the left one just in case.
IMG_1898.jpg
IMG_1898.jpg (405.17 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
IMG_1900.jpg
IMG_1900.jpg (182.59 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
OOPS
IMG_1901.jpg
IMG_1901.jpg (422.81 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
I cut open the filter with my new cutting tool and the filter element was good - no observed debris and the filter-magnet-thing had just a smear of crud on the inside of the can. Note to self: put the magnet near the bottom of the filter, to make it easier to cut open and look inside with the magnet in place. ;)
IMG_1907.jpg
IMG_1907.jpg (209.96 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
The drain plug had barely anything on it.
IMG_1905.jpg
IMG_1905.jpg (221.47 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
My whole adult life I've always enjoyed doing my own car work - at least what I could do - but age is creeping up and the fatigue and the memory paranoia [did I replace the drain plug washer?] make it an easy decision to let the pros do this going forward. As long as they will get me the DT40 and the right filter. No more Mobil 1 for this old dog. I took a sample to send off to SPEEDiagnostics. I'm anxious to see what the next report has after switching to DT40 in March and driving my 996 according to the Gospel of Raby. :)
Kevin
Eastern Kansas

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:18 pm

Einsteiger wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:13 pm Today: oil change - six month mark, 1,265 miles. Following the LN Engr play book. Used Driven DT40 again, NAPA gold filter, with the filter magnet thingy.

A great weather day, but this still will likely be my last DIY oil change if we stay in this house. Even with the ramps, it was still crowded, really hot, and I spilled about 1/2 gallon on the driveway because the flow over-ran my drain pan / recycle container. I won't even mention my hassles with the ramps. :( I used the floor jack on the left one just in case.

OOPS
IMG_1901.jpg

I cut open the filter with my new cutting tool and the filter element was good - no observed debris and the filter-magnet-thing had just a smear of crud on the inside of the can. Note to self: put the magnet near the bottom of the filter, to make it easier to cut open and look inside with the magnet in place. ;)
The drain plug had barely anything on it.

My whole adult life I've always enjoyed doing my own car work - at least what I could do - but age is creeping up and the fatigue and the memory paranoia [did I replace the drain plug washer?] make it an easy decision to let the pros do this going forward. As long as they will get me the DT40 and the right filter. No more Mobil 1 for this old dog. I took a sample to send off to SPEEDiagnostics. I'm anxious to see what the next report has after switching to DT40 in March and driving my 996 according to the Gospel of Raby. :)
Don't feel bad about the oil spill; I spatter oil every where every time I change it. I have started placing some sort of absorbent material under and around my catch pan. Old age, yeah I feel ya there. At 69 I might do one or two more on the rebuilt engine but after that I will probably go to my Indi. I buy the DT40 and the proper spin on filter and take it to my Indi. He doesn't have a problem with that. He has already made a crap load of money off me so...
Last edited by 32wildbilly on Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never gonna make you cry...