$100 Amazon inverter stick welder

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Re: $100 Amazon inverter stick welder

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:47 am

gnat wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:58 pm Mad doctor Schnelly have any old microwaves lying around?

So, I've got a number of detailed, intelligent questions. Let's just go with the first one off my list:

What the f**k?
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:24 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:47 am So, I've got a number of detailed, intelligent questions. Let's just go with the first one off my list:

What the f**k?
After watching our boys grow over these last years my wife and I have determined that the answer to all such questions around fuckery like this is both simple and consistent. Penis. It's always the penis.

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:32 pm

I'm impressed by people who think like this honestly. Having the know-how to look at a "broken" microwave and say - well, I know how to convert it into a functioning spot welder - is pretty f'n incredible to me.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:46 pm

Is it know-how or is it just that the act of sticking something into a hole that just happened not to result in a fire or explosion? I mean they made it look all nice and polished, but that screams to me that the first iteration was "what happens when I plug this into a wall?" which may or may not have resulted in temporarily missing eyebrows. :lol:

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:25 pm

The plans for microwave transformer welders are pretty well baked. I considered making a dual-transformer welder, but the inverter stuff on Amazon is so cheap and small, it's not really worth making something completely janky.

The Jacob's Ladder I made from an 18KV neon sign transformer is probably the most scary thing I've made - I have this irrational fear that it's about to kill me whenever it's running. I think I'm just too stupid to be comfortable with the concept of plasma...

Every year, my wife's church does a Halloween thing, and every year I think about hauling out my Jacob's Ladder, but I just know some little shit is gonna stick their finger in it, and then I'll have to go to jail.

Again.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.