Boxste' size

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Boxste' size

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:05 am

So talking to a guy in a grocery store parking lot about his new Boxsta'. I didn't ask the year but guess it is the latest generation.

My question is why in the Hell has Porsche decided to make their cars so freakin' large? I have not looked at the specs for this car but in appearance it is larger than my 996 C4S! It is a good looking car but presents as FAT(not phat).

The last AutoCross in 2021 we had an early version Boxsta' show up and it looked to be about half the size of this behemoth.

I don't get it.

WHY?
Last edited by 32wildbilly on Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Boxsta' size

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:50 am

The newer Boxsters seem ENORMOUS compared to my old (2003) 986 - I don't know the reasoning behind it, but the size difference is remarkable.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

theprf
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by theprf » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:18 am

It's the way of the world.
992's seem enormous next to my 996.
A 2022 Ford Ranger is about the same size as a 2009 F150.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:24 am

theprf wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:18 am 992's seem enormous next to my 996.
I haven't been up close to a 992, but the 991 was bad enough and the wide S versions are just silly.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:49 am

Ok so I'm an "old" sports car guy. In the past I owned a TR4, a Sunbeam Tiger and a 300ZX(which was too large). To me a sports car should be small compared to the mom and pop four door hi-way cruisers. I just don't understand a sports car company growing everything so large. I've lived through years of cars growing and shrinking but "sports cars" were always on the small size of that insanity.

I just don't get it...

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:49 am

prf has it right. The way of the world. Another way to say it - the way of the focus group. Also - the way of the pedestrian safety regulator. The way of the insurance adjuster. The way of the crash dummy. Etc.

All cars have a much higher beltline (pedestrian safety,) and have gotten to be roughly the same shape for fuel efficiency as well as a really interesting factor I had never considered but I learned about it listening to the designer of the "original" new Mini. (Early 2000's.) He was talking about how he fought tooth and nail to have the tail light completely encompassed into the fender, and was explaining how most manufacturers fight to have it blend out into the edge of the panel because it's cheaper to repair in a collision. It had nothing to do with cost of manufacture.. At least for that car.

In the case of the Boxste' - I'd bet it's getting misshapen for a lot of the reasons I listed above but in its own right.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:32 am

Pedestrian safety by higher beltline?? I swear I reviewed an article a few years back breaking bad on the new larger trucks and SUV being more dangerous in pedestrian strikes in the front as the height allowed for zero "roll up the hood" action. In other words like running into a brick wall at 30 mph. Maybe I was scanning too fast.

On fuel economy I get similar shapes, but wouldn't a smaller lighter vehicle give the opportunity of potential better gas mileage? I get design impacts efficiency at speed so a Lincoln Navigator/Chevy Suburban type vehicle or any of the new pick-up must be incredibly inefficient due to size. Even some of the semi-tractor designers are beginning to demonstrate a basic knowledge of streamlining for fuel economy.
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:49 am prf has it right. The way of the world. Another way to say it - the way of the focus group. Also - the way of the pedestrian safety regulator. The way of the insurance adjuster. The way of the crash dummy. Etc.

All cars have a much higher beltline (pedestrian safety,) and have gotten to be roughly the same shape for fuel efficiency as well as a really interesting factor I had never considered but I learned about it listening to the designer of the "original" new Mini. (Early 2000's.) He was talking about how he fought tooth and nail to have the tail light completely encompassed into the fender, and was explaining how most manufacturers fight to have it blend out into the edge of the panel because it's cheaper to repair in a collision. It had nothing to do with cost of manufacture.. At least for that car.

In the case of the Boxste' - I'd bet it's getting misshapen for a lot of the reasons I listed above but in its own right.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:11 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:32 am Pedestrian safety by higher beltline?? I swear I reviewed an article a few years back breaking bad on the new larger trucks and SUV being more dangerous in pedestrian strikes in the front as the height allowed for zero "roll up the hood" action. In other words like running into a brick wall at 30 mph. Maybe I was scanning too fast.
Anything classed as a truck (pretty much any larger SUV) play by a different set of safety, fuel economy, and emissions rules. So what he said is true about cars, but not applied (or applied the same) for them.
On fuel economy I get similar shapes, but wouldn't a smaller lighter vehicle give the opportunity of potential better gas mileage?
All that safety and emissions stuff adds weight and requires space. Then you have all the stuff that the owner doesn't want to live without which is more weight and space. The only option is for the car to keep growing to make it all fit.

I mean even something as simple as the seats have gotten nuts. My P!g's front seat makes one of the 996 seats look like a baby seat!

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:52 pm

So if I understand correctly the "safety" items and the consumer wants are driving the size of new vehicles. Perfect...simply perfect.

Which brings me to one of my pet peeves. Who in the f--k needs a full size four door pickup when is is quite evident it is not a work truck, farm truck, doesn't have a trailer hitch so not towing things, is spotless with chrome rims so no off road(we call them O st. four wheelers around here after the main drag in town used for cruising). If ever you are in a low slung sports car in a diagonal parking space next to one of those I wish you well in your attempts to back out safely. Another fun thing is sitting while a driver is backing into a spot which almost all of these ginormous trucks tend to do around here. I think it is the new "I gotta big one, just look at my truck..." You know considering the above the Boxsta' today was tiny.
gnat wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:11 pm
On fuel economy I get similar shapes, but wouldn't a smaller lighter vehicle give the opportunity of potential better gas mileage?
All that safety and emissions stuff adds weight and requires space. Then you have all the stuff that the owner doesn't want to live without which is more weight and space. The only option is for the car to keep growing to make it all fit.

I mean even something as simple as the seats have gotten nuts. My P!g's front seat makes one of the 996 seats look like a baby seat!

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:20 pm

These damn new cars!!!

Get off my lawn.gif
Get off my lawn.gif (1.04 MiB) Viewed 969 times
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver