Somebody talk me down off the edge...

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Somebody talk me down off the edge...

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:46 pm

This car is starting to wear me down. As I already posted now the f--king AOS has crapped the bed! So rather than put a worthless OEM AOS on it that would probably fail again within 3 years(see below) if not right out of the box I'm going to put on the UAOS for which the total with labor will probably be in the $1.5k range. As most of you know I got the car back from FSI with a reconstructed engine in mid October 2019 of course it had a new OEM AOS installed at that time. I don't even want to talk about what that whole deal cost me. I don't drive this car much as we have three cars and one driver. So the miles per dollars on the 996 is pretty dismal. While I included some cost numbers it is not all about the money. I am more fortunate than I deserve and am able to pay for these items but the return on my investment is below poor. Next year will be approaching four years out of reconstruction with less than 2,000 miles on the engine so I need to start worrying about the water pump taking a crap and throwing a bunch of plastic bits up in to the heads...

Today I have been considering selling the 996 next Spring. Pisses me off that this happened now I was thinking about AutoXing the 996 this Sunday. However, I am glad the AOS gave up first. Otherwise it could have tried to ingest a big glob of oil at high RPMS. I would have been calling Jake on Monday and Jake would have kicked my azz!

Maybe I'm just not comfortable with owning a Porsche any longer.

HELP!
Never gonna make you cry...

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Re: Somebody talk me down off the edge...

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:48 pm

What is stopping you from driving the car? I thought I didn't drive my car enough but 2,000 miles in 3 years is very low. When these cars sit they tend to have more failures. I think you should keep it with the goal of putting a few thousand miles on it after the AOS replacement. Park the Civic or sell the Civic to me :lol:
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:39 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:48 pm What is stopping you from driving the car? I thought I didn't drive my car enough but 2,000 miles in 3 years is very low. When these cars sit they tend to have more failures. I think you should keep it with the goal of putting a few thousand miles on it after the AOS replacement. Park the Civic or sell the Civic to me :lol:
Well I just don't drive much especially in 2020-2021. There were few places to go that wouldn't have been a possibility for exposures that were above my risk toleration. The Honda which is a 2019 only has @4.5k miles. Around here, small city, doesn't require many miles to get what you want/need. Also not working for a living also cuts down on driving. The wife refuses/can't ride in the 996 and the Honda. So when going to grandkids activities we go in the Volvo. She claims I drive them like a race car. She is right...

P.S.: On the Honda selling...NO!

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:39 am

Hmmm... the AOS is much hated, but ours lasted over 15 years and 70k. The only reason I had it replaced was because the transmission was out for the rebuild so I threw in a bunch of extras while it was already in for a big job. 6 years and another 10k and it isn't giving us trouble.

I get the feeling though. 10k in 6 years is nothing after a 12k bill and I've averaged probably 2k/year in various maintenance in that time. Just did 2k for the security module with the hope the rust would clean off the rotors, but they instead warped while trying to clean them so now I need to do all the rotors and pads :(

Still, I'm far more comfortable with that than I am the 3300 I dumped into her 07 328xi at the same time... :x

Get it fixed, then go AutoX it. I promise you will feel much better about the costs incurred. If not, I'll take it off you hands for $3.50 :lol:

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:01 am

gnat wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:39 am Hmmm... the AOS is much hated, but ours lasted over 15 years and 70k. The only reason I had it replaced was because the transmission was out for the rebuild so I threw in a bunch of extras while it was already in for a big job. 6 years and another 10k and it isn't giving us trouble.

I get the feeling though. 10k in 6 years is nothing after a 12k bill and I've averaged probably 2k/year in various maintenance in that time. Just did 2k for the security module with the hope the rust would clean off the rotors, but they instead warped while trying to clean them so now I need to do all the rotors and pads :(

Still, I'm far more comfortable with that than I am the 3300 I dumped into her 07 328xi at the same time... :x

Get it fixed, then go AutoX it. I promise you will feel much better about the costs incurred. If not, I'll take it off you hands for $3.50 :lol:
Yes it does seem the "newer" ones are more prone to infant mortality failures.

I think you meant to say "tree fiddy"

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:26 am

32wildbilly wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:01 am I think you meant to say "tree fiddy"
I wanted to be clear which tree fiddy I was talking about :D

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:48 am

gnat wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:26 am
32wildbilly wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:01 am I think you meant to say "tree fiddy"
Wouldn't the "other" tree fiddy be written as TREE FIDDY(as in tree fiddy large)?😜

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:04 am

32wildbilly wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:48 am
gnat wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:26 am
Wouldn't the "other" tree fiddy be written as TREE FIDDY(as in tree fiddy large)?😜
What if I wrote it as tReE fIdDy?

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:23 am

gnat wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:04 am
32wildbilly wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:48 am
What if I wrote it as tReE fIdDy?
Then I would have been confused

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:58 am

32wildbilly wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:39 pm P.S.: On the Honda selling...NO!

I'm going to have a cashier's check for $38,500 (because we are friends) and I'm going to offer it to you when you come see Adele :P
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic