Weird temp gauge readings this AM

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Weird temp gauge readings this AM

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:03 am

My 996 has been parked for a week or two for...reasons. I need to get it smogged and the drive cycle still isn't done, so I drove it to work today in cold-for-me (approx. 50 degrees F) weather.

My office is only about 10 miles from my home. While cruising at about 70 on the freeway, I noticed that the temp gauge was reading abnormally high, pointing at the tick mark between 180 and 250. There was no other indication that anything was wrong; the low coolant indicator wasn't flashing, and nothing smelled unusual. I clicked on the AC to force the fans on; no change. I turned off the AC and turned the heater to full to use the heater core to cool things off; no change.

I pulled off at my normal exit and went to 7-11 as usual to buy some caffeine. The car was parked for no more than 3-4 minutes. When I fired it back up, the temp gauge was pointing straight up in its normal position, and it remained normal for the rest of my drive to work. There's no way it was parked long enough to cool off, and I don't think it makes sense that it would run cooler during surface-street driving than at 70 on the freeway on a cold morning.

I've never seen the temp gauge read that high before (I have the center radiator installed; it's always been nearly impossible to get the car too hot). I didn't mess with the HVAC controller to read the actual temps, but I will if I see this happen again.

Has anyone else ever noticed this behavior?

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Weird temp gauge readings this AM

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:14 am

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:03 am My 996 has been parked for a week or two for...reasons. I need to get it smogged and the drive cycle still isn't done, so I drove it to work today in cold-for-me (approx. 50 degrees F) weather.

My office is only about 10 miles from my home. While cruising at about 70 on the freeway, I noticed that the temp gauge was reading abnormally high, pointing at the tick mark between 180 and 250. There was no other indication that anything was wrong; the low coolant indicator wasn't flashing, and nothing smelled unusual. I clicked on the AC to force the fans on; no change. I turned off the AC and turned the heater to full to use the heater core to cool things off; no change.

I pulled off at my normal exit and went to 7-11 as usual to buy some caffeine. The car was parked for no more than 3-4 minutes. When I fired it back up, the temp gauge was pointing straight up in its normal position, and it remained normal for the rest of my drive to work. There's no way it was parked long enough to cool off, and I don't think it makes sense that it would run cooler during surface-street driving than at 70 on the freeway on a cold morning.

I've never seen the temp gauge read that high before (I have the center radiator installed; it's always been nearly impossible to get the car too hot). I didn't mess with the HVAC controller to read the actual temps, but I will if I see this happen again.

Has anyone else ever noticed this behavior?
Never seen that behavior. How many times have you had the gauge cluster out to change the lighting? Maybe something got "compromised". Or perhaps the temperature sensor is getting wonky. I vote for #2 swag.

I call BS on "While cruising at about 70 on the freeway." unless of course this was a traffic jam situation.
Never gonna make you cry...

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:26 am

You really need to find yourself in a situation where you're dead certain the car is not overheated but the gauge is displaying an incorrect reading...

It sounds almost like the behavior of a bad Oil Pressure Sending unit where the needle will display a higher-than-accurate number. But I have not come across many threads on the damn other place nor here about Coolant Temperature sensors going bad. Though - with this car I wouldn't be the least bit surprised it's capable of it.

I'll stay tuned for further troubleshooting.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:37 am

That's exactly what I was thinking when it was completely normal after restarting...
Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:26 amIt sounds almost like the behavior of a bad Oil Pressure Sending unit where the needle will display a higher-than-accurate number. But I have not come across many threads on the damn other place nor here about Coolant Temperature sensors going bad. Though - with this car I wouldn't be the least bit surprised it's capable of it.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:40 am

I've had that stupid cluster apart countless times - but not in the past year or two.

And there was traffic, so unfortunately 70MPH was about right.
32wildbilly wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:14 am Never seen that behavior. How many times have you had the gauge cluster out to change the lighting? Maybe something got "compromised". Or perhaps the temperature sensor is getting wonky. I vote for #2 swag.

I call BS on "While cruising at about 70 on the freeway." unless of course this was a traffic jam situation.
I'm not going to sweat it until I see it happen again.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:12 am

It's been too long, but our's did that once. I could be misremembering, but I think it was found that the thermostat valve was sticking. I just remember that it did it, I took it to my Indy, it didn't cost a fortune for a change, and it hasn't happened since.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:29 am

I wondered about that too, since it has been sitting for a bit...but I assumed the temps would continue to climb if the tstat was stuck closed. I'll keep an eye on it.
gnat wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:12 am It's been too long, but our's did that once. I could be misremembering, but I think it was found that the thermostat valve was sticking. I just remember that it did it, I took it to my Indy, it didn't cost a fortune for a change, and it hasn't happened since.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:46 am

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:29 am I wondered about that too, since it has been sitting for a bit...but I assumed the temps would continue to climb if the tstat was stuck closed. I'll keep an eye on it.
gnat wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:12 am It's been too long, but our's did that once. I could be misremembering, but I think it was found that the thermostat valve was sticking. I just remember that it did it, I took it to my Indy, it didn't cost a fortune for a change, and it hasn't happened since.
I want to say that Jake once said that if it was stuck closed you'd never know as the temp is taken on the cold side rather than the engine side. Again I could be completely misremembering though.

IF I am remembering our issue correctly, I don't think it was completely stuck. Just not opening completely so the coolant wasn't circulating as well as it should. This led to coolant staying in the motor longer and getting hotter.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:40 pm

So, a weird electrical gremlin on a 20+ year old 996.

Clearly mice.

(I misspelled "ignition switch" above)
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:43 pm

Heh.

I performed a full Italian tune-up on the way home from the office, and no shenanigans were noticed.