Key FOB scanners

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Key FOB scanners

Post by 32wildbilly » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:16 am

Is this really that big of a deal? I reviewed the articles years ago and felt it was minimal risk.

What say you smart people? Should I buy numerous blocking bags to encase everything in or what.

Along with this what about the credit card scanners I've heard about. Fear or folly?

The wife listens to Clark Howard and an episode she was listening to from 2018 made her paranoid...
Never gonna make you cry...

Hatchetf15
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Re: Key FOB scanners

Post by Hatchetf15 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:00 pm

Gould luck to the sap trying to get my fob codes from either of my weak-assed transmitters!

Dr_Strangelove
Won't stay Banned

Post by Dr_Strangelove » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:28 am

Nothing beats diligence and awareness. You need to ask yourself a really important question; am I a target for crime? If not, then I would not worry about it. If yes; then you need to ask yourself what about your behavior is making you a vulnerable target.

Keep your vehicles locked and in a garage if possible. Don't keep garage door openers visible when your vehicles are parked outside of your house. Keep your valuables out of sight and don't flaunt/flash valuable things. (The vehicle itself notwithstanding...) If you feel like someone is following you home in your Porsche to see where you live - go somewhere public like a store or if you really feel threatened drive to the police station.

Most petty thieves are opportunistic so don't give them an opportunity. Anyone making a real effort to steal one of your cars out of your house by way of "fob scanner" has put a lot of information together about you personally and has isolated you as a vulnerable and deserving target. You've got to f up on a lot of levels to get that far to have someone case you like that. Of all the egregious theft stories of Porsches I've read about on Rennlist or otherwise - the two that stick out were one guy had an open house and left all of his keys sitting out. The other guy got robbed by an acquaintance of someone he had hired to do work on his house - his house got cased by the guys and they sent a crew to come back and grab his stuff.

Now as for the credit cards - those are most often stolen by spoofers. They are covers that go over the top of genuine scanners and look exactly the same as the real unit. But there are so many RF blocking wallets on the market right now that I coincidentally own one without even intentionally buying one. I'm in a large public place so often in my life that I suppose in this case it's better safe than sorry. You can use your own judgment on that one.
2003 Carrera: Dark Teal Metallic

Hatchetf15

Post by Hatchetf15 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:20 am

Good Dr,
That is a fantastic, well-composed PSA! Thank you. But, for all that’s holy, why are you trying to cloud my mind with all this common sense stuff?

Next thing you know gnat will be telling me why Virginia really is for lovers. Wildbilly will be convincing me that “German engineering is todt. Japan has the answer to future sports car performance!” Geezy Pete. Pretty soon someone will convince me the SCOTUS is truly unbiased and only rules with logic and the pure precedence of case law and Constitutional law.

Me? I try to lean more towards WWSD (What Would 5chn3ll Do). Remember, life is short. Drive fast. Take chances. But please, don’t load your unregistered AR-15 while texting and driving.

theprf

Post by theprf » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:39 am

Hatchetf15 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:20 amBut please, don’t load your unregistered AR-15 while texting and driving.
Can I still light the dynamite sticks that I have taped to the arrows before I shoot them?

Hatchetf15

Post by Hatchetf15 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:49 am

theprf wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:39 am
Hatchetf15 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:20 amBut please, don’t load your unregistered AR-15 while texting and driving.
Can I still light the dynamite sticks that I have taped to the arrows before I shoot them?
Duh! Of course!

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:04 am

Hatchetf15 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:20 am Me? I try to lean more towards WWSD (What Would 5chn3ll Do). Remember, life is short. Drive fast. Take chances. But please, don’t load your unregistered AR-15 while texting and driving.
theprf wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:39 am
Darwin has a special place in his heart for you guys. :roll:
darwin.jpeg
darwin.jpeg (16.64 KiB) Viewed 1177 times
One of my favorite t-shirts btw...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:49 am

WWSD is probably not the best way to live your life if you want to still have all your appendages when it comes to an end.

It's definitely the wrong life guide should you discover that there is a Human Centipede remake in the works and you ask yourself (because that is what Schnelly would do after all) if you should watch it.

DDWSWD (don't do what Schnelly would do) is probably a much better path for a sane life that keeps all body parts intact.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:45 am

gnat wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:49 am WWSD is probably not the best way to live your life if you want to still have all your appendages when it comes to an end.

It's definitely the wrong life guide should you discover that there is a Human Centipede remake in the works and you ask yourself (because that is what Schnelly would do after all) if you should watch it.

DDWSWD (don't do what Schnelly would do) is probably a much better path for a sane life that keeps all body parts intact.
DDWSWD...like for only one instance make a 45mph battery powered standard tire bicycle then ride it where there is loose gravel in corners...Oh and curbs. :D

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:57 pm

...but you should also always not do what Gnat recommends. What a pickle.
gnat wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:49 am WWSD is probably not the best way to live your life if you want to still have all your appendages when it comes to an end.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.