PSM off lights not showing

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

PSM off lights not showing

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:10 pm

Yesterday I had the excuse to shut the PSM system "off" (AutoX). When I tried I got no light on the button and no "PSM OFF" warning on the dash.

Today I found the fuse missing from E10 labeled as PSM button on fuse box cheat sheet. The Bentley book just says PSM for my 2005. Replaced it with the proper 15 amp fuse and the lights now work as advertised. The E9 25 amp fuse labeled by the cheat sheet as ABS/PSM was in place and in good shape.

Why would someone pull that fuse. Is there a valid reason other than they needed a 15amp fuse and didn't care if the PSM could be shut off.

Another question: The Bentley book differs several places from what is in my car for amperage of fuses. I have not done a slot by slot comparison. Is the Bentley book to be trusted on this topic?
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: PSM off lights not showing

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:45 am

In my experience, a whole lot of people who buy 996's try to disable PSM at one time or another...sometimes because it upsets their driving, and most often just because "I know better than this car does."

In my case, PSM was firing all the freaking time when I first got my car - but I eventually realized it was due to the aftermarket 19's, rubber-band tires, and the setup of the aftermarket coilovers. After some tweaking - and buying 18's - and ripping out the C4 FWD garbage - I no longer despise PSM.

I do still turn it off manually when I'm on specific roads that I know trigger PSM unnecessarily, but...I quit trying to disable it permanently.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:47 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:45 am In my experience, a whole lot of people who buy 996's try to disable PSM at one time or another...sometimes because it upsets their driving, and most often just because "I know better than this car does."

In my case, PSM was firing all the freaking time when I first got my car - but I eventually realized it was due to the aftermarket 19's, rubber-band tires, and the setup of the aftermarket coilovers. After some tweaking - and buying 18's - and ripping out the C4 FWD garbage - I no longer despise PSM.

I do still turn it off manually when I'm on specific roads that I know trigger PSM unnecessarily, but...I quit trying to disable it permanently.
Did you turn PSM off when you AutoX'd or did you leave it in the "Porsche Save Me" position?
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:54 pm

After changing out the wheels and tires, tweaking the coil overs, and deleting the FWD, I didn’t need to turn off PSM for AX. I was also the only person to successfully drift a 996 for consecutive laps during performance driving school on the slick pad. I really only dislike PSM now on gritty mountain roads where half a second of PSM can put you into the opposing lane of traffic.

All of this is said with full understanding that I am an ABYSMAL driver. The 996 kicks ass.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.