On Becoming a Macan "Expert"

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: On Becoming a Macan "Expert"

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:52 pm

Dr_Strangelove (whew!) wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:27 pm I always interpret "Fine, do whatever you want" to mean "The next one is the last one."
You are a very smart person.
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:34 am

Mrs. S. and I had a come-to-Jesus conversation after the 996 purchase. It has been made clear to me, in no uncertain terms, what that phrase means when uttered by an annoyed wife.

I knew what I was doing, but I professed ignorance to save my life.

There is a degree of hypocrisy given how much she actually likes the 996, but I am smart enough to know not to point this out.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:10 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:34 am Mrs. S. and I had a come-to-Jesus conversation after the 996 purchase. It has been made clear to me, in no uncertain terms, what that phrase means when uttered by an annoyed wife.

I knew what I was doing, but I professed ignorance to save my life.

There is a degree of hypocrisy given how much she actually likes the 996, but I am smart enough to know not to point this out.
Great choices all around.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:25 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:34 am There is a degree of hypocrisy given how much she actually likes the 996, but I am smart enough to know not to point this out.
Yeah, doubling-down is probably not the smart play.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:33 pm

So, I posted the black 2015 Macan Turbo for sale on Sunday. The first person to look at it (Monday) bought it. He picked it up on Tuesday. It was in great shape, so no surprise.

The white 2018 Turbo that I bought back on August 23rd was still sitting at the auction in Shreveport as of Tuesday, Sept. 5th, even though I had ordered and paid for shipping through the auction company on August 23rd. I had called 3 times previously to inquire why the auction's shipping company had still not picked it up. Then, Tuesday morning, I got a bill from the same auction for storage fees because it hadn't been picked up yet. Talk about adding insult to injury. Suffice it to say, I called said auction house Tuesday morning, the storage fees invoice was cancelled and the auction company's shipping company picked it up Tuesday afternoon. It arrived here in Olathe, KS on Wednesday morning.

It's a nice vehicle, but the auction's condition report (that you rely on in deciding whether to buy the car) missed a bunch of stuff, some of which are significant items:
1. The condition report said it came with two keys. It only came with one. That's $500+ for a second key right there.
2. The windshield that a big rock chip with 4 cracks branching out about 1 inch each. Yesterday, the cracks spread to where I need to replace the windshield now.
3. The Pirelli P Zero tires that the auction listed as having 7/32nds tread on all 4 tires had less than 3/32nds on all 4 tires when I put a gauge on them. That's a $2,000 set of tires (although I'm putting some less expensive replacements on)
4. The 21" factory rims were listed as having curb rash on the front left wheel only. All 4 wheels have significant curb rash, so I'm going to have to fix them.
5. The B pillar trim on both sides is cracked down the middle. Both the B and C pillar trim is badly scratched on both sides. About $300 in parts and a bit of a PITA to replace (you have to remove the door cards on both sides and unhook the window regulator).
The windshield trim on the left & right sides has been damaged. Thankfully, those are only about $40 each, but still, it was obvious damage and should have been listed.

The arbitration period (10 days) ended while the car was still waiting to be picked up by the auction's shipping vendor. I spoke to the general manager of the auction yesterday after notifying them of the problems right after delivery on Wednesday. They are refunding $515 (the shipping charge), which I guess is legally more than they have to do. But, man, this is going to be more of a project and much more expensive to prep for sale than I expected.
Current:
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:58 pm

FRUNKenstein wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:33 pm So, I posted the black 2015 Macan Turbo for sale on Sunday. The first person to look at it (Monday) bought it. He picked it up on Tuesday. It was in great shape, so no surprise.

The white 2018 Turbo that I bought back on August 23rd was still sitting at the auction in Shreveport as of Tuesday, Sept. 5th, even though I had ordered and paid for shipping through the auction company on August 23rd. I had called 3 times previously to inquire why the auction's shipping company had still not picked it up. Then, Tuesday morning, I got a bill from the same auction for storage fees because it hadn't been picked up yet. Talk about adding insult to injury. Suffice it to say, I called said auction house Tuesday morning, the storage fees invoice was cancelled and the auction company's shipping company picked it up Tuesday afternoon. It arrived here in Olathe, KS on Wednesday morning.

It's a nice vehicle, but the auction's condition report (that you rely on in deciding whether to buy the car) missed a bunch of stuff, some of which are significant items:
1. The condition report said it came with two keys. It only came with one. That's $500+ for a second key right there.
2. The windshield that a big rock chip with 4 cracks branching out about 1 inch each. Yesterday, the cracks spread to where I need to replace the windshield now.
3. The Pirelli P Zero tires that the auction listed as having 7/32nds tread on all 4 tires had less than 3/32nds on all 4 tires when I put a gauge on them. That's a $2,000 set of tires (although I'm putting some less expensive replacements on)
4. The 21" factory rims were listed as having curb rash on the front left wheel only. All 4 wheels have significant curb rash, so I'm going to have to fix them.
5. The B pillar trim on both sides is cracked down the middle. Both the B and C pillar trim is badly scratched on both sides. About $300 in parts and a bit of a PITA to replace (you have to remove the door cards on both sides and unhook the window regulator).
The windshield trim on the left & right sides has been damaged. Thankfully, those are only about $40 each, but still, it was obvious damage and should have been listed.

The arbitration period (10 days) ended while the car was still waiting to be picked up by the auction's shipping vendor. I spoke to the general manager of the auction yesterday after notifying them of the problems right after delivery on Wednesday. They are refunding $515 (the shipping charge), which I guess is legally more than they have to do. But, man, this is going to be more of a project and much more expensive to prep for sale than I expected.
The condition report missing all those easy to see defects seems a little scammy to me. Actually a lot scammy! Their generous (bullshit) offer to pay shipping doesn't even come close to covering your costs much less your labor. 4/32" of tread depth difference is really easy to see with a tread depth gauge. The topper is the "just keep the car on the lot past the ten day complaint period is over."

You don't have any recourse against them??

You're probably not the first nor will you be the last if no-one holds their feet to the fire.

02TX996Cab
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 02TX996Cab » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:59 am

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:58 pm The condition report missing all those easy to see defects seems a little scammy to me. Actually a lot scammy! Their generous (bullshit) offer to pay shipping doesn't even come close to covering your costs much less your labor. 4/32" of tread depth difference is really easy to see with a tread depth gauge. The topper is the "just keep the car on the lot past the ten day complaint period is over."

You're probably not the first nor will you be the last if no-one holds their feet to the fire.
Seems to me an appropriately-worded letter from an attorney might get more appropriate compensation from the auction house. Just sayin...

But it is Louisiana we're talking 'about, not that anything shady ever happens there... ;)
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:41 am

02TX996Cab wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:59 am
32wildbilly wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:58 pm The condition report missing all those easy to see defects seems a little scammy to me. Actually a lot scammy! Their generous (bullshit) offer to pay shipping doesn't even come close to covering your costs much less your labor. 4/32" of tread depth difference is really easy to see with a tread depth gauge. The topper is the "just keep the car on the lot past the ten day complaint period is over."

Seems to me an appropriately-worded letter from an attorney might get more appropriate compensation from the auction house. Just sayin...

But it is Louisiana we're talking 'about, not that anything shady ever happens there... ;)
Well, legally, the value of the time I would spend fighting them would quadruple any damages I'd get. They are in the position of being a middle-man in the transaction rather than the seller. Although, in this case, the car was owned by Carvana, and Carvana owns ADESA, so maybe they do get preferential treatments on condition report ratings. I see that frequently at our local Manheim auction - if it is a car owned by major seller, it's almost always graded higher than it should be.

But, their position as a middle-man is that "hey, we'll do our best to evaluate every car that comes into our auction, but you can't hold us liable if we miss something." And with "AS-IS" vehicles, they further recommend that you see the vehicle in person before bidding. So, their policies, terms & conditions are set up so that there's simply not much recourse for the buyer. Even if the shipper got the car to me within the arbitration time frame of 10 days, the deck is still stacked against me. It's kind of a "you're supposed to be a dealer to buy at the auction, so you know there's risks in buying here" kind of thing. For most dealers, the problems with this vehicle wouldn't be that big of a deal. And, in the end, it will be OK for me. I just have a lot more work and expense on this car than anticipated. In fairness, the 2015 Macan Turbo I just sold was in better condition than I expected, so you win some and you lose some.
Current:
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:

02TX996Cab
NG (Second 100 Outposters!)

Post by 02TX996Cab » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:04 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:41 am

Well, legally, the value of the time I would spend fighting them would quadruple any damages I'd get. They are in the position of being a middle-man in the transaction rather than the seller. Although, in this case, the car was owned by Carvana, and Carvana owns ADESA, so maybe they do get preferential treatments on condition report ratings. I see that frequently at our local Manheim auction - if it is a car owned by major seller, it's almost always graded higher than it should be.

But, their position as a middle-man is that "hey, we'll do our best to evaluate every car that comes into our auction, but you can't hold us liable if we miss something." And with "AS-IS" vehicles, they further recommend that you see the vehicle in person before bidding. So, their policies, terms & conditions are set up so that there's simply not much recourse for the buyer. Even if the shipper got the car to me within the arbitration time frame of 10 days, the deck is still stacked against me. It's kind of a "you're supposed to be a dealer to buy at the auction, so you know there's risks in buying here" kind of thing. For most dealers, the problems with this vehicle wouldn't be that big of a deal. And, in the end, it will be OK for me. I just have a lot more work and expense on this car than anticipated. In fairness, the 2015 Macan Turbo I just sold was in better condition than I expected, so you win some and you lose some.
Welp, if "do our best" doesn't even cover counting correctly to the number "2", their "best" is next to worthless. No offense intended to the worthless, BTW.

Good to know that car auctions are pretty much "as is, where is" types of transactions.
Proud owner of a Flat6-powered 2002 996 Cab, 2016 GT4, 2019 Ford F-150 "Country Cadillac", and 2005 Ford Focus (not so hot hatch) daily driver. And a Wright ZTO 52" to keep several acres of grass-like substance neat and tidy!

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:34 am

FRUNKenstein wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:41 am

Yeah I figured as much. It just pisses me off when somebody fluffs(bald faced lies) on a report that remote people will have to rely on. eBay will even go to bat for a buyer who buys something misrepresented by the seller online...