Widowmaker Project (Building a Faux GT2)

TheDeckMan
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Widowmaker Project (Building a Faux GT2)

Post by TheDeckMan » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:46 am

HAHAHAHA! I had not seen that!

Yeah, the living room was currently in the front facing the street so decided to eliminate the wall between my old server room and the kitchen so that can become the living room facing the lake.
996TT - Widowmaker Project -RWD, UMW Tune, H&R RSS, Phenix Engineering Control Arms/LCA's, GT3 6 Pistons, SpeedTech 3" X-Pipe, Ported Headers, 997 GT3 Shifter, GT3 Buckets, GT2 Clutch/PP, GT2RS IC's, RSS Roll Bar, GT3 Brake Ducts, Joe Toth Aero/Ducts, Champion Thrust Arms
997TT - LSD, Chrono , UMW Tune, DSC, Phenix Engineering Toe Links & LCA Bushings, Tubi Race, 3" eRams, 964RS Engine Mounts
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC
https://phenixengineering.com/

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:29 am

With the super hot weather it left only mornings to work on the house gutting, with retiring to the cool garage by lunch time. Attacking the plugs first as they were due for changing after 12k miles, I also decided to tackle the one broken coil plug from the prior shop that worked on it. Originally when I did the plugs I used the same zip tie trick to hold in place, but with having so much experience and all the spares from the 997tt that had 4 broken plugs it made sense to tackle it.

New Connector for 996/997 Turbos

Fixed coil plug, this requires some extreme contorting of the hands to de-pin the connector, patience is key. Removing the exhaust also helps gain access as it is tight.

After that was done and the new rear O2 Sensors were in, the IC's went back on and pressure testing was in order. I always pressure test at least every other oil change and to my surprise I found a leak from the right 997.2 IC, this was a bit of a kick in the nutz as these are only 6k miles old and purchased through Sonnen. Could be just a single bad one or that the manufacturer has issues with them sealing correctly at the crimp place. It appears that many have had similar issues with theirs.

To be continued.
996TT - Widowmaker Project -RWD, UMW Tune, H&R RSS, Phenix Engineering Control Arms/LCA's, GT3 6 Pistons, SpeedTech 3" X-Pipe, Ported Headers, 997 GT3 Shifter, GT3 Buckets, GT2 Clutch/PP, GT2RS IC's, RSS Roll Bar, GT3 Brake Ducts, Joe Toth Aero/Ducts, Champion Thrust Arms
997TT - LSD, Chrono , UMW Tune, DSC, Phenix Engineering Toe Links & LCA Bushings, Tubi Race, 3" eRams, 964RS Engine Mounts
Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC

TheDeckMan

Post by TheDeckMan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:57 am

The local PCA chapter was doing a drive on my local roads so decided to join up with a few friends for a cruise through western mass and southern VT. With the 996tt down till the intercoolers show up some time next month, it was a perfect opportunity to stretch the legs on the 997 Turbo. Being that the suspension and power upgrades make it spot on for lots of back road driving with still maintaining ground clearance, she proved to be up to the challenge with plenty of passing power and grip.

Meeting at the old defunct Friendlys in Ludlow nice and early.

Another stock sounding 997 Turbo joined the fun!

As well as a pair of GT4's

Marks GT3 and Patricks 996 Aero

Flying Taco's

We headed out wandering through several of the larger population centers of W.Mass, then we were able to hit some twisties up but were hung up with several Sunday drivers.

Then we got to our first stop in Charlemont, MA on RT2. The Cold River Cafe is a nice spot for breakfast or lunch right in the shadow of the Berkshire East Ski Mtn.

From there we blasted up crossing back and forth over the mountains into VT and off to our final destination of Kringle Candle for lunch.

Audi TT Track Car
Corrado SLC