Warehouse 33 discount for 996outpost.com members!

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Warehouse 33 discount for 996outpost.com members!

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:59 am

gnat wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:48 am
32wildbilly wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:14 am

I always wonder about the "change it every x years" deal. Sounds like you got the life out of yours.
The issue is that there is little indication that it has failed until you've already cooked you motor. As I understand it, due to where the temp sensor is you don't see the engine over heating if the the water is not moving. Additionally, there have been documented cases of the impeller spreading and clogging up the coolant channels.

Thus the wisdom is that you just change it proactively to save yourself a much more expensive repair.
Yeah I've heard all that. Seems like most failures including my own was due to bearing slop affecting the water sealing ability on the shaft at 52k miles. Seems like a short time for the life of a modern water pump. Case in point 2009 Rav4 with over 110k miles...no water pump replacement!?? Last time, before the 996, that I owned a car that failed a water pump was on a 1965 Sunbeam Tiger in 1970. I did a proactive water pump renewal on my 300ZX when I had the timing belt and front end hoses changed at 98k miles and 23 years of service! What's up with Porsche?
Never gonna make you cry...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:42 am

I can forgive Porsche for not getting it quite right on the first-gen water cooled 911 - but I definitely hear you. I'm sure there are some engineering factors at play, like belt tension/routing/geometry that Porsche didn't figure out quite right for the 986/996. The German engineering model is refine, refine, refine; the first group of mass-produced water-cooled flat six models was bound to have some issues they hadn't fully anticipated.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:56 am

5chn3ll wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:42 am I can forgive Porsche for not getting it quite right on the first-gen water cooled 911 - but I definitely hear you. I'm sure there are some engineering factors at play, like belt tension/routing/geometry that Porsche didn't figure out quite right for the 986/996. The German engineering model is refine, refine, refine; the first group of mass-produced water-cooled flat six models was bound to have some issues they hadn't fully anticipated.
They aren't alone. BMW and Audi still can't get water pumps right to save their lives...

I think a lot has to do with the part itself too. You can find cases where pumps failed or were starting to go on lower mileage cars and cases of original pumps still going strong over 100k.

I can't remember if we're still rocking our factory pump or if it was one of the "as long as we're in there" items I did while the transmission was getting rebuilt and IMSB swapped at 70k.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:26 am

gnat wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:56 am
5chn3ll wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:42 am I can forgive Porsche for not getting it quite right on the first-gen water cooled 911 - but I definitely hear you. I'm sure there are some engineering factors at play, like belt tension/routing/geometry that Porsche didn't figure out quite right for the 986/996. The German engineering model is refine, refine, refine; the first group of mass-produced water-cooled flat six models was bound to have some issues they hadn't fully anticipated.
They aren't alone. BMW and Audi still can't get water pumps right to save their lives...

I think a lot has to do with the part itself too. You can find cases where pumps failed or were starting to go on lower mileage cars and cases of original pumps still going strong over 100k.

I can't remember if we're still rocking our factory pump or if it was one of the "as long as we're in there" items I did while the transmission was getting rebuilt and IMSB swapped at 70k.
Porsche: German
Audi: German
BMW: German

I do see the German engineering model revealing itself here. What I don't understand is why not design it right the first time. Other automobile engineers had it figured out years before 1998. Hell my former 1996 Jeep GC V8 ran for over 140k and I'm pretty sure never had the water pump changed.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:38 am

32wildbilly wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:26 am
gnat wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:56 am

Porsche: German
Audi: German
BMW: German

I do see the German engineering model revealing itself here. What I don't understand is why not design it right the first time.
Yeah, but how much longer have the later two been making water cooled engines? Isn't the 959 their only other production foray into water cooling? Just saying that Porsche has some leeway for being newer to the game and the others haven't exactly iterated their way to a better design even with all that extra time.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:06 am

I went ahead and ordered up new idler and tensioner pulleys as well. One of the pulleys is a bit gritty, and the tensioner was pretty noisy. I haven't dumped much money into the 996 in the past few years for PM, so I splurged.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:39 am

5chn3ll wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:06 am I went ahead and ordered up new idler and tensioner pulleys as well. One of the pulleys is a bit gritty, and the tensioner was pretty noisy. I haven't dumped much money into the 996 in the past few years for PM, so I splurged.
New belt too...right?

Wait you are excluding multiple wheel refinishing costs...right? :D

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:43 am

I'm taking the guy a 12-pack of Coors Light and $100 - he thinks he's retouching them for free. Still a helluva deal.

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:24 am

5chn3ll wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:43 am I'm taking the guy a 12-pack of Coors Light and $100 - he thinks he's retouching them for free. Still a helluva deal.
Coors Light! YUKKY! Cat piss! You cheap SOB! :lol:

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:34 pm

Don't point the finger at me, man... I texted him and asked what beer he drinks. The answer: Coors Light.