Anyone know much about 3d printers?

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Re: Anyone know much about 3d printers?

Post by 32wildbilly » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:13 pm

Oh the "poke" came across cloud and lear.
gnat wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:44 pm
32wildbilly wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:31 pm Please explain? Is it that it printed the old stale stuff or that it printed at all or that the printed material looks surprisingly even and clean?
All of the above.

While it's far from the worst (nylon), PLA is hygroscopic and things tend to print like shit with wet filament.

It also shows how stable the printer is that all I had to do to it was clean the plate and it laid down a flawless first layer even though it's sat idle for a few months.

There is no simple-as-an-inkjet 3D printer, but a well tuned Prusa MK3 ain't far off.

My dig on Schnelly is that his printer would likely not be as friendly in a similar situation.
Never gonna make you cry...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:32 am

So e3d just released their new Revo hotend that is a drop in replacement for Prusa's factory (also an e3d model) hotend. This is nice as (if you've unloaded the filament after your last print) you can change the nozzle with only your fingers while it's cold. As the nozzle and heatbreak are one piece, it also means there is no fucking things up and then having plastic ooze out everywhere it's not supposed to and make a royal mess.

Of course because nothing can be easy with me, I decided it was a good time to splice in a bunch of JST connectors so I don't have to fuck with the tail and control box when the extruder needs work. Amazingly everything actually self tested perfectly on the first try. Unfortunately the new and very janky way the cables are now running are causing interference with the ends of the X axis and top of the Z axis. If I have to unfuck it by replacing all those perfectly good parts that I cut wires from, that's gonna cost me about $75 in parts, shipping from Poland, and having to fuck around in the control box again which I HAAAAAAAAATE :evil:

In other "what kind of a dumbass are you?" news I've gotten the urge to finally reinstall my MMU again, but the usual annoyance of MMU ownership isn't a big enough pain so I gots plans... Rather than the 5 filaments it will let me use, I think I can redesign it to support a lot more. I haven't done the math yet, but somewhere in the 20-30 filaments should be possible while staying within the width of the printer itself. Trying to be smart and not risk my working MMU I bought $150 worth of parts to build this new monstrosity which all but assures that 3 years from now I will be only slightly closer to finishing this project than I am right now...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:59 am

Poland! That shipment might take a while considering what's going on in the neighborhood.
gnat wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:32 am So e3d just released their new Revo hotend that is a drop in replacement for Prusa's factory (also an e3d model) hotend. This is nice as (if you've unloaded the filament after your last print) you can change the nozzle with only your fingers while it's cold. As the nozzle and heatbreak are one piece, it also means there is no fucking things up and then having plastic ooze out everywhere it's not supposed to and make a royal mess.

Of course because nothing can be easy with me, I decided it was a good time to splice in a bunch of JST connectors so I don't have to fuck with the tail and control box when the extruder needs work. Amazingly everything actually self tested perfectly on the first try. Unfortunately the new and very janky way the cables are now running are causing interference with the ends of the X axis and top of the Z axis. If I have to unfuck it by replacing all those perfectly good parts that I cut wires from, that's gonna cost me about $75 in parts, shipping from Poland, and having to fuck around in the control box again which I HAAAAAAAAATE :evil:

In other "what kind of a dumbass are you?" news I've gotten the urge to finally reinstall my MMU again, but the usual annoyance of MMU ownership isn't a big enough pain so I gots plans... Rather than the 5 filaments it will let me use, I think I can redesign it to support a lot more. I haven't done the math yet, but somewhere in the 20-30 filaments should be possible while staying within the width of the printer itself. Trying to be smart and not risk my working MMU I bought $150 worth of parts to build this new monstrosity which all but assures that 3 years from now I will be only slightly closer to finishing this project than I am right now...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:18 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:59 am Poland! That shipment might take a while considering what's going on in the neighborhood.
gnat wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:32 am So e3d just released their new Revo hotend that is a drop in replacement for Prusa's factory (also an e3d model) hotend. This is nice as (if you've unloaded the filament after your last print) you can change the nozzle with only your fingers while it's cold. As the nozzle and heatbreak are one piece, it also means there is no fucking things up and then having plastic ooze out everywhere it's not supposed to and make a royal mess.

Heh. I did consider that about the extra parts I ordered for my MMU abomination, but the parts showed up on Monday rather than tomorrow as predicted.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:25 pm

Screw Big Violin! Who says you can't download a violin from the Internet?
PXL_20230311_224800727.jpg
PXL_20230311_224957950.jpg
PXL_20230311_225017772.jpg
Oldest decided to play the violin next year for 6th grade music. I thought an electric violin might save our ears in the early screechy stages as we could slap headphones on him. Turns out even without the resonance chamber of an acoustic violin, it's still pretty loud :cry:
Attachments
PXL_20230311_225040051.mp4
(20.05 MiB) Downloaded 72 times

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:33 pm

gnat wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:25 pm Screw Big Violin! Who says you can't download a violin from the Internet?
PXL_20230311_224800727.jpg
PXL_20230311_224957950.jpg
PXL_20230311_225017772.jpg

Oldest decided to play the violin next year for 6th grade music. I thought an electric violin might save our ears in the early screechy stages as we could slap headphones on him. Turns out even without the resonance chamber of an acoustic violin, it's still pretty loud :cry:
That_Is_AWESOME! He's gonna be the coolest kid in music class.

I suggest high quality earplugs for the family during home practice sessions...

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:09 pm

The chicks will dig that.
But, man, violin practicing around the house is going to be painful. Were they all sold out of accordions and bagpipes?
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:44 pm

One of my favorite performance artists of all time is Laurie Anderson; she used to play random stuff like violins she equipped with tape recorder pickup heads using bows strung with audio tape.

She inspired me to strap an acoustic guitar pickup to a kazoo back in ‘89 and run it through guitar effects pedals. The band nicknamed it the “kazoobilator” - it was kind of cool.

Learning an instrument is awesome; making your own is sometimes awesomer.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:55 pm

Gnat, that’s some Lindsey Stirling-grade stuff you made.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:28 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:55 pm Gnat, that’s some Lindsey Stirling-grade stuff you made.

I am a fan of her work actually. She knows how to fiddle!