Cabrio Water Drains

Battery Guy

Cabrio Water Drains

Post by Battery Guy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:12 pm

My weekend project is to pull the hardtop and clean out the drains. Problem is water by the back seats. Going through all the threads on RL there are plenty of pictures of what the drains look like but I did not find any tips for cleaning them out. Can I just use a piece of string trimmer line and go down through them? Or is there some reason that would not work? And are the accessible with the top down and the rear lid open?

Other question - is there any other way that water could be getting back there? Right now it is almost completely dry; it has been over a week since it went through a car wash or was driven in the rain. Other places that I should check for water coming in? Front floor is completely dry - only water is in the rear floor at the rear seats. Slightly wetter on the drivers side than the passenger side, but both are damp.

Thanks in advance!
Daryll
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)

32wildbilly
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Cabrio Water Drains

Post by 32wildbilly » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:26 pm

Battery Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:12 pm
My weekend project is to pull the hardtop and clean out the drains. Problem is water by the back seats. Going through all the threads on RL there are plenty of pictures of what the drains look like but I did not find any tips for cleaning them out. Can I just use a piece of string trimmer line and go down through them? Or is there some reason that would not work? And are the accessible with the top down and the rear lid open?

Other question - is there any other way that water could be getting back there? Right now it is almost completely dry; it has been over a week since it went through a car wash or was driven in the rain. Other places that I should check for water coming in? Front floor is completely dry - only water is in the rear floor at the rear seats. Slightly wetter on the drivers side than the passenger side, but both are damp.

Thanks in advance!
Daryll
On a coupe with sunroof I always heard low pressure air to clean out the drains. Never have done it but always read it. You are aware that there is an important electronic control box under the driver's seat that does not like water!!

Battery Guy

Re: Cabrio Water Drains

Post by Battery Guy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:41 pm

32wildbilly wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:26 pm
Battery Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:12 pm

Thanks in advance!
Daryll
On a coupe with sunroof I always heard low pressure air to clean out the drains. Never have done it but always read it. You are aware that there is an important electronic control box under the driver's seat that does not like water!!
OK, will give the low pressure air a try too if my string trimmer line does not work. And yes, the control box under the driver’s seat is the main reason that this is my immediate project this weekend. Fortunately the carpet is dry except for the inch or so right in front of where the carpet goes up and under the back seat - so the dampness is a relatively long way from the seat, but I don’t want to have any dampness in the car. I’m sure eventually it would start to smell...
Thanks!!
1999 Porsche 996 Cabrio
Black/Black/Black
No Options!! (How did that happen??)