Another Tesla driver idiot...

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Another Tesla driver idiot...

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:59 am

We live in the age where people on the Internet decide to "upgrade" their aluminum CPU heatsinks using "liquid metal" (gallium) thermal paste - and they still post the results online. Put differently: people today are too stupid to understand that they're stupid.

I'm ALL FOR cars who drive themselves instead of people who can't be bothered to drive them properly.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu May 13, 2021 6:46 pm

Natural selection will most likely take this guy out soon.
A man arrested for riding in the back seat of his driverless Tesla got out of jail, bought a new one, and did it again

A San Francisco man said he'll keep riding in the back seat after his arrest, KTVU reports.

Param Sharma said he is "very rich" and will keep buying Teslas as his cars are impounded.

Tesla sells a feature called Full Self-Driving Capability, but it doesn't make cars autonomous.

A San Francisco man who was arrested for riding in the back seat of his Tesla as it drove on the highway says he'll keep pulling the stunt after being released from jail - and he'll keep buying more cars as they get impounded.

After getting booked on two counts of reckless driving, Param Sharma arrived for a Wednesday interview with the Bay Area news station KTVU riding in the back seat of a Tesla again. But it wasn't the same car that California Highway Patrol pulled him over in.

The day after being released from jail on Tuesday, he told the channel, Sharma bought a new Tesla Model 3 because the other was impounded. Also, he is "very rich," he told KTVU.

"I have unlimited money to blow on Teslas. If you take away my Tesla, I will get another Tesla. That's how it works," Sharma said.
Never gonna make you cry...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:43 am

Seems Elon is ok with people dying because his technology is faulty.
Tesla Says Autopilot Makes Its Cars Safer. Crash Victims Say It Kills.

Benjamin Maldonado and his teenage son were driving back from a soccer tournament on a California freeway in August 2019 when a truck in front of them slowed. Maldonado flicked his turn signal and moved right. Within seconds, his Ford Explorer pickup was hit by a Tesla Model 3 that was traveling about 60 mph on Autopilot.

A 6-second video captured by the Tesla and data it recorded show that neither Autopilot — Tesla’s much-vaunted system that can steer, brake and accelerate a car on its own — nor the driver slowed the vehicle until a fraction of a second before the crash. Jovani Maldonado, 15, who had been in the front passenger seat and was not wearing his seat belt, was thrown from the Ford and died, according to a police report.

The accident, which took place 4 miles from Tesla’s main car factory, is now the subject of a lawsuit against the company. It is one of a growing number of crashes involving Autopilot that have fueled concerns about the technology’s shortcomings, and could call into question the development of similar systems used by rival carmakers. And as cars take on more tasks previously done by humans, the development of these systems could have major ramifications — not just for the drivers of those cars but for other motorists, pedestrians and cyclists.

Tesla, founded in 2003, and its chief executive, Elon Musk, have been bold in challenging the auto industry, attracting devoted fans and customers and creating a new standard for electric vehicles that other established carmakers are reckoning with. The company is worth more than several large automakers combined.

But the accidents involving Autopilot could threaten Tesla’s standing and force regulators to take action against the company. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has about two dozen active investigations into crashes involving Autopilot.

At least three Tesla drivers have died since 2016 in crashes in which Autopilot was engaged and failed to detect obstacles in the road. In two instances, the system did not brake for tractor-trailers crossing highways. In the third, it failed to recognize a concrete barrier. In June, the federal traffic safety agency released a list showing that at least 10 people have been killed in eight accidents involving Autopilot since 2016. That list does not include the crash that killed Jovani Maldonado.

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Post by FRUNKenstein » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:49 am

Well, emerging tech is clearly going to have growing pains - the driver obviously wasn't paying attention. Pretty sure that Tesla says you have to pay attention even with the autopilot on.

To me, what's even more unbelievable is that a father would let his 15 year old ride in a car without a seatbelt. Worse to be in the front seat. Even worse, on a highway. Given that the father survived (doesn't mention if was injured, so I assume if he was, it was minor), that boy would very likely be alive today if he had worn his seatbelt. I'm no fan of Tesla, but the 3-point seatbelt has been around since 1959. It may sound harsh, but the boy is a Darwin award winner. Given that Cali is a comparative fault state, my guess is that the family's recovery will not put Tesla into Chapter 11.
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:35 am

I agree: The kid would probably still be here if he had a seatbelt on. The Tesla driver was not attentive to the condition of traffic.

I do not agree: That the loss of life is necessary in the use of developing technology. The Tesla program wizard has allegedly stated a computer does not decide to check Instagram while performing duties, which I agree with totally. However, a stupid driver will do so while in a car that allegedly has "AUTOPILOT"!

Somebody needs to get Tesla and Elon's attention.
FRUNKenstein wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:49 am Well, emerging tech is clearly going to have growing pains - the driver obviously wasn't paying attention. Pretty sure that Tesla says you have to pay attention even with the autopilot on.

To me, what's even more unbelievable is that a father would let his 15 year old ride in a car without a seatbelt. Worse to be in the front seat. Even worse, on a highway. Given that the father survived (doesn't mention if was injured, so I assume if he was, it was minor), that boy would very likely be alive today if he had worn his seatbelt. I'm no fan of Tesla, but the 3-point seatbelt has been around since 1959. It may sound harsh, but the boy is a Darwin award winner. Given that Cali is a comparative fault state, my guess is that the family's recovery will not put Tesla into Chapter 11.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:37 am

Tesla Says Autopilot Makes Its Cars Safer. Crash Victims Say It Kills.

Benjamin Maldonado and his teenage son were driving back from a soccer tournament on a California freeway in August 2019 when a truck in front of them slowed. Maldonado flicked his turn signal and moved right. Within seconds, his Ford Explorer pickup was hit by a Tesla Model 3 that was traveling about 60 mph on Autopilot.

A 6-second video captured by the Tesla and data it recorded show that neither Autopilot — Tesla’s much-vaunted system that can steer, brake and accelerate a car on its own — nor the driver slowed the vehicle until a fraction of a second before the crash. Jovani Maldonado, 15, who had been in the front passenger seat and was not wearing his seat belt, was thrown from the Ford and died, according to a police report.
Not to defend Elon or his moron minions that think Autopilot is really an autopilot, but it sounds to me that what really killed in this instance was daddy dearest not making his son wear his seat belt.

Sure the Tesla shouldn't have hit them, but we have seat belts, air bags, crumple zones, etc.. specifically to defend against things that shouldn't happen.

Sounds to me like the Tesla driver was a moron, but I find it hard to blame the kids death on them since the more directly contributing cause was something utterly out of their control.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:25 am

Agreed - nothing in that article indicates that the Tesla did anything except hit a slow-moving SUV with an unrestrained passenger.

It could be the case that if autpilot had been engaged, the car would have detected the lane change by the SUV...so I'm having a hard time finding my favorite part where we get to kick Elon around...

32wildbilly

Post by 32wildbilly » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:35 am

The article said that autopilot was engaged(in the first paragraph) and neither that system nor the driver made any attempt to hit the brakes until "a fraction of a second before the impact." Doesn't sound like autopilot did it's job to me. I understand autopilot doesn't see a semi-trailer blocking the lane as a problem either.

I must be mistaken but shouldn't system called autopilot hit the brakes when something is going to impede its forward motion like a semi-trailer or a Ford Explorer?

Maybe not.
5chn3ll wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:25 am Agreed - nothing in that article indicates that the Tesla did anything except hit a slow-moving SUV with an unrestrained passenger.

It could be the case that if autpilot had been engaged, the car would have detected the lane change by the SUV...so I'm having a hard time finding my favorite part where we get to kick Elon around...

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:53 am

32wildbilly wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:35 am I do not agree: That the loss of life is necessary in the use of developing technology.
Maybe not necessary, but sadly often the case when theory and lab conditions meet the real world were morons are more interested in Twitter than holding up their part of the social contract (paying attention to what is going on). Hell, even air bags (Takata aside) and seat belts took some lives early in their development and adjustments were made.

It's not ideal and we certainly shouldn't view it as acceptable or normal, but we also have to recognize that it is going to happen.

Telsa, I think, has culpability in all this both because of their (intentionally?) bad marketing and their ability (but unwillingness to use) to remotely disable the feature. Their owner's would be pissed, but it's just another example of stupid people preventing us from having nice things.

As far as the marketing, while it is an absolutely incorrect misconception, the prevailing understanding of the term "autopilot" is that the human does not have to pay attention or be involved. Any pilot of an equipped aircraft will tell you that idea is bullshit, but it's what the average moron believes so using that name for something attainable by morons with little/no training is just begging for trouble.

5chn3ll

Post by 5chn3ll » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:24 pm

Oops - I read "neither the driver nor Autopilot" as Autopilot wasn't engaged.

Reading is hard. Getting ejected through the windshield is also hard - and that wouldn't have happened if Pops had insisted the kid wear his seatbelt.

It takes 4+ seconds to stop from 60MPH (plus driver reaction time) - and the driver of the vehicle that got hit has a known history of ignoring traffic laws. It's awful that the kid lost his life, but I'm having a hard time putting this in Tesla's lap.