The Hunt

JohnIreland

Re: The Hunt

Post by JohnIreland » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:56 pm

32wildbilly wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:43 pm
gnat wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:19 pm Congrats. Looks like a nice car.

I look forward to your dissertation on how the C4 is the new C2 :lol:
Nice John! Sometimes you just got to spend some money to get a good one.

Drive it in good health!
Very true...as I saw the direction of the market, and considered that to get what I wanted was simply going to cost more than I originally dreamed of, and then when I saw this car I said to myself, its going to be hard to find this one again. I wasn't sure my bid would hold, and I also had to be realistic and draw a line...the car in Hemet was a good back up, not as completely redone, but it would have been a good second choice. However the service done to this car left me scratching my head about what else I would need to fix beside the little things...a window regulator here, light bulbs there, etc., routine maintenance stuff. And the seller's (or BaT's) photography was first rate. It made me melt every time I pulled up the auction and looked at it. I'm looking forward to getting it up on Mulholland Drive on Sunday.

Thanks to everyone here for your wisdom and common sense. It was all quite fun.

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:38 pm

$25,996...

Heh. :lol:

Have you already called to make your first date with the dealership barista?

Welcome back to the fold, Mr. Irish.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

sitedrifter
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by sitedrifter » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:15 pm

congratulations John, good to see you back in a 996

agree with others, the sorted and very low mile cars cost a bit extra
but are definitely worth it
.....that's a stupid way to die !

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Kalashnikov » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:29 pm

Congrats JI!

JohnIreland

Post by JohnIreland » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:27 pm

5chn3ll wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:38 pm $25,996...

Heh. :lol:

Have you already called to make your first date with the dealership barista?

Welcome back to the fold, Mr. Irish.
The dealership changed owners...so I have to go by and see if they still have the expresso bar...and to flash my 20 year old Porsche at them. I think the wrenches will be more interested and impressed with it than the sales people. I have three indie shops where I can get immediate service, and I'm checking out a couple of more. I like to have relationships with at least three because these guys get busy, and I like to keep my car on the road and not sitting around waiting for people to be free.

I already have a quote from Haggarty...$690 or so a year for 3k to 3.5k miles And that will be about right while I still have my leased Alfa Giulia. My total is 5k a year on the average. When I just have the C4, the mileage and the premium will go up. And when I need a 4 door sedan, my wife's 6 year old C250 Mercedes will do just fine...it does have a sport mode, though its pretty tame.

I'm also looking forward to washing it myself...there's a pleasant intimacy when you go over every inch of the car...I got lazy with the Alfa. I had it hand washed but wasn't doing it myself. I'm also going to be fussy again about valets parking my car.

My first three water cooled 911s (two 996s and a 997S) have all be educations. This is the first time I feel I've made a truly smart buy. And with some luck and good advise on my side as well. I still have my car cover and I do use it every night. We have a secured garage for the building, but we have had people get in and break into cars. I'm not telling my wife until it is parked downstairs and I can take her for a ride in it.

Can't close for tonight without adding a picture.
mineh.jpg
mineh.jpg (267.99 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
minem1.jpg
minem1.jpg (211.93 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
mineg1.jpg
mineg1.jpg (155.4 KiB) Viewed 2172 times