The Hunt

FRUNKenstein
Curator Extraordinaire

Re: The Hunt

Post by FRUNKenstein » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:44 pm

best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:20 pm I've become like a drunken sailor with a month's pay and 24 hour leave in the whore house capitol of the US Navy.
Hey, leave me out of this . . .
www.kansascityautomuseum.com
Current:
2002 996TT X50, Guards Red
1987 928S4, Guards Red
1987 951, Guards Red
1973 914 2.0 Bahia Red

2006 955S, Lapis Blue
Other toys:
1988 BMW 325i Cabriolet, Alpin Weiss
1987 Bertone X1/9, Verde Chiaro
Gone but not forgotten: 1975 914 2.0, Laguna Blue; 1999 996 C4 Aerokit Black; 1990 964 C2 Guards Red; 2006 955S Arctic Silver

JohnIreland

Post by JohnIreland » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:32 pm

For those willing, please rate the years and your reasons in choosing one or the other.

1999, 2000, 2001.

I'm aware that mid-2000 and through 2001 they went to the second gen of the IMS bearing, which is bad.

I'm aware that you only get the mechanical throttle (vs e-throttle) in 99.

I'm aware that with 2001 you get the electronic hood and trunk opening system vs the earlier mechanical cable.

I'm aware that the 99 tip did not have the upgraded feature of going directly into manual via the buttons.

I'm aware that a well owned and driven 99 may never need to have its IMS bearing changed.

I'm award that there was a fire in the factory in mid 1998 and that effected cars made immediately after,
but how it effected them, I don't know.

All contributions appreciated.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:40 pm

01 because after two years of waiting that's when we finally got a build slot. In 20 years we've never had cause to regret it though.
best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:32 pm I'm aware that you only get the mechanical throttle (vs e-throttle) in 99.
All C4 cars have the e-throttle regardless of year.

JohnIreland

Post by JohnIreland » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:39 pm

Thanks. I'm seeing a car on Friday morning, and if it stacks up to what it looks like on paper, I'll drive it home. Biarritz White over graphite grey leather, new clutch and IMS Solution, 18" sport classic II wheels, all scheduled maintenance done by dealer or top indie.

First owner had it almost exclusively serviced by the selling dealer. Second owner was really a dealer who auctioned it 64k miles. Third owner drove it to 101k, with servicing at dealers. Fourth owner had it serviced by another local dealer...except for the installation of the IMS Solution. The car has spent its entire life in southern California. Now has 116k miles.

So really 3 owners...and the one I might buy this from is selling because he bought a 964.

I must say, I feel I've done a lot of driving of cars and traveled a decent amount of miles to do so. There is another one I found today, not far away, with much the same service history including an IMS fix though not the Solution. It is silver and looks great, but I just really like the white...oh yes, this is a manual trans.

So maybe Friday I'll be able to enjoy one of my own.

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:04 am

best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:39 pm Thanks. I'm seeing a car on Friday morning, and if it stacks up to what it looks like on paper, I'll drive it home. Biarritz White over graphite grey leather, new clutch and IMS Solution, 18" sport classic II wheels, all scheduled maintenance done by dealer or top indie.

First owner had it almost exclusively serviced by the selling dealer. Second owner was really a dealer who auctioned it 64k miles. Third owner drove it to 101k, with servicing at dealers. Fourth owner had it serviced by another local dealer...except for the installation of the IMS Solution. The car has spent its entire life in southern California. Now has 116k miles.

So really 3 owners...and the one I might buy this from is selling because he bought a 964.

I must say, I feel I've done a lot of driving of cars and traveled a decent amount of miles to do so. There is another one I found today, not far away, with much the same service history including an IMS fix though not the Solution. It is silver and looks great, but I just really like the white...oh yes, this is a manual trans.

So maybe Friday I'll be able to enjoy one of my own.
John: Are you sure about the manual? You have mentioned numerous times you had concerns especially where you live and drive. I would hate to have you buy it and within a couple of months regret it because of the manual transmission.
Never gonna make you cry...

JohnIreland

Post by JohnIreland » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:42 am

John: Are you sure about the manual? You have mentioned numerous times you had concerns especially where you live and drive. I would hate to have you buy it and within a couple of months regret it because of the manual transmission.
[/quote]

You're right...my brain keeps going back and forth. The tip is a safer way to go...but it doesn't seem as exciting a driving experience. The roads near where I'm seeing this car tomorrow are great for a spirited drive...but LA is also about the traffic. I love being able to blip the throttle in a manual. I love being able to drive with one hand in the tip. I know I'll just simply be more aggressive driving the manual. My wife will be happier if I'm driving the tip...and she would be able to drive it as well.

All this said...I have been able to walk away from cars that are "almost" but not just there for me. And the price on the car I'm seeing tomorrow won't leave anything left in the toy budget for unexpected repairs.

And I have to remember why I sold my 2003 996 (with a manual) and got into a tip in the first place...a bad ankle sprain...and that was four years ago. Next month I'll turn 78. I'm in excellent condition for my age....but at this stage of life small injuries can seem very big, and you don't recover as fast as when you are younger. How drivable will a manual be two, four, eight years from now?

And at 78, I have to be honest...how much more car flipping can I do or afford to do?

And lastly...if the SHTF, with a tip I can drive with one hand and shoot with the other...or at least have a cafe latte.

Thanks for the realty check.

Kalashnikov
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Post by Kalashnikov » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:26 pm

You got to look at it the other way... 30 more years of driving to go.

gnat
Power-drunk moderator

Post by gnat » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:27 pm

best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:42 am And lastly...if the SHTF, with a tip I can drive with one hand and shoot with the other...or at least have a cafe latte.
3rd will do you from 30 to 80mph giving you plenty of room to work on your aim or latte.

It also sounds REALLY nice at 80 in 3rd :twisted:

32wildbilly
Never gonna run around and desert you

Post by 32wildbilly » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:52 pm

gnat wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:27 pm
best-selling author, occasional Gitmo AirBNB guest, and internationally-renowned automotive fashion consultant John Ireland wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:42 am And lastly...if the SHTF, with a tip I can drive with one hand and shoot with the other...or at least have a cafe latte.
3rd will do you from 30 to 80mph giving you plenty of room to work on your aim or latte.

It also sounds REALLY nice at 80 in 3rd :twisted:
I think his real problem is: clutch in, clutch out, roll a few feet, clutch in, wash, repeat. What I hear about LA is it is either that or 100mph in the slow lane.
Never gonna make you cry...

JohnIreland

Post by JohnIreland » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:29 am

I took advice given here and passed on the manual trans...though it sounds like a wonderful car. And you just don't know what a car really is until you drive it. And then you still have many surprises waiting for you.

I talked to a place that does tons of Porsche tips. They gave me a ballpark quote of just over $300 for the trans rear mount, and 1 to 2 hours labor to install it. So far they seem to know more about it than anyone I've talked to...including the seller of the car and the guy I'm considering to do the usual maintenance. And the trans place also warned me that it could be internal...even though my description of driving the car leans toward the mount.

So if I move on the white tip that I've been moaning and groaning about loving, I'll back in my budget area, even after replacing the mount, and have a couple of grand to throw at anything routine that comes along. I sent an email to the seller detailing my intentions and I'm waiting to hear back from him.

You never know what you are buying until its too late. But at least with a car I have driven, I know that much about how the steering feels and the suspension feels, and the alignment, and I have physically touched the rotors and felt how they work under hard and soft application, and it has new tires and fluids and filters and an AOS...etc.

Yes, the third gear in a manual gives you a lot of spread for shooting out the window with your free hand...but going from stop to a hundred and trying to shake zombies off the hood while shooting and reloading a 1911 .45 auto...the tip will be more practical.

Now I just have to wait for the guy to call back.