Water pump DIY tips

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Water pump DIY tips

Post by 5chn3ll » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:13 am

After completing my second 996 water pump replacement last Sunday, I have a couple of tips that make the process suck less.

1) Don't forget to support the back of the engine with a floor jack (and hockey puck or other load distribution device) and remove the upper two 15 mm nuts and the 15mm nut closest to the water pump on the engine cradle. Loosen the lower 15mm engine cradle fastener (but do not remove), and push the cradle as far back from the water pump as possible to provide access to the water pump bolts.

2) Don't bother trying to pull the pump out from below. Remove the idler pulley closest to the water pump and pull the pump out the top of the engine bay.

3) To help remove the old pump and position the new pump, I highly recommend a foot or two of 1/4" aluminum or steel dowel with a 90-degree bend about an inch from one end. Hook this "handle" through the topmost water pump bolt hole when you're pulling out the old pump and lowering in the new pump...it makes life suck a LOT less.

4) The two longer water pump bolts go into the holes with the steel inserts/sleeves.

5) If you have or can borrow a Uview Airlift, vacuum-test your finished install BEFORE you start buttoning things up. Pull some vacuum, note where the needle is pointing, and leave it alone for at least 15 minutes.

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.

sweet victory
OG (First 100 Outposters!)

Re: Water pump DIY tips

Post by sweet victory » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:12 am

Did you replace for PM?

5chn3ll
Six shots...or only five?

Re: Water pump DIY tips

Post by 5chn3ll » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:58 pm

Sorry I missed this. No, there was new noise from the engine bay, and it disappeared with the belt off - so I put the belt back on and stethoscoped everything. I wound up replacing the tensioner pulley and the idler pulleys at the same time - they were all gritty and loud, and the pump shaft was just starting to wiggle.
sweet victory wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:12 am Did you replace for PM?

Understeer: You will hit the wall with the front end.
Oversteer: You will hit the wall with the rear end.
Horsepower: How hard you will hit the wall.
Torque: How far you will move the wall.

Gone hunting with Alec Baldwin and Dick Cheney. Back soon.